HOW DO YOU FIGURE OUT TO HARD WIRE A DECODER INTO A STANDARD BACHAMNN LOCO

Started by RUWINSKI45, August 13, 2010, 11:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUWINSKI45

SINCE ALL THE WIRES IN A STANDARD BACHMANN DIESEL ARE THE SAME COLOR HOW DO YOU HARDWIRE A BACHMANN DECODER INTO A NO DCC READY LOCO? THE DECODER HAS COLORED WIRES & THE ENGINE HAS ONLY RED & BLACK. DO YOU REMOVE THE BOARD IN THE ENGINE NOW? ENGINE'S IN QUESTION ARE GP 40 & GP38 NOT DCC READY.

Doneldon

45-

Easy.  First, make sure that your motor and its electrical terminals are isolated from the loco's frame.  Then you connect the wires coming from the wheels to the inputs on the decoder, attach the decoder's motor outputs to the motor, and use the other wires for the lights and other functions.  The details on how to do this are contained in your decoder's instructions.  Use that to see exactly what wire to connect to what.  That's why they include the instructions.
                                                                                                    -- D

mabloodhound

Suggest you don't type in all capital letters.   That's considered rude and shouting.   Besides being difficult to read.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

MPSOUTHERN

After buying a Bachmann set with GP-40 at a good price, I installed an NCE DA-SR decoder for about $20.00.I thought the installation was simple and I am pleased with the results.