News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Programming

Started by FPVonk, May 28, 2009, 02:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPVonk

I have a 4-8-4 Santa Fe. And I now know that I can run in at minimum 24" (610 mm) radius. The Locomotive came with DCC on Board but I am Putting in a DCC decoder with sound.  The decoder will be a Soundtrax decoder which has sound and DCC in all. I have to look how I should Program the address 4-digit (loco #3777) with my Prodigy Advance 2 DCC from MRC. May be there is someone that can give me some hints in this.
Greetings from The Netherlands.

Fred Vonk

rustyrails

Fred,
You'll find some instructions here.  Just scroll down.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/PRODIGY%20ADVANCE%20%20TIPS%20AND%20TRICKS%20REVISED%2005-03-07.pdf

Apparently, there is no difference in programming a 2 or 4 digit address as far as the user is concerned when using your system.  Personally, I use 4 digit addresses except for a couple of Western Maryland engines that have two digit road numbers.

Hope this helps,
Rusty

Chris350

You may want to take a quick look at he Soundtraxx website as well.  If there is an unusual quirk involved with a certain decoder and throttle they will often address it.  THe Tsunami user guide is available for the manuals link at Soundtraxx.com

Jim Banner

Make sure you have plenty of paper and ink on hand if you decide to print the manuals out.  Between the Users Guide and the Technical Reference Manual, it is something like 177 pages.  But you have to be impressed by the number of things you can tweak and massage to get the best possible sound out of your particular installation.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

PaulDeS

Fred,

I also have a MRC Prodigy Advance 2 and have found that giving an engine a four digit name (actually anything above 128) will change CV 29 to a value that provides only DCC operation. If you think you will need the engine to run with DC, sometimes, then you need to program CV 29 to a value of 38 (you should be able to confirm this value from the article Rusty mentioned or on the MRC website). Tables are available with all the CV 29 values for whatever type operation (power source, direction, etc) you want. The article Rusty mentioned is a good one to print and keep for reference.

All my engines are Bachmann (DCC Onboard) but I don't think the MRC DCC controls will operate differently with a different decoder.

Paul

OkieRick

Unless Soundtraxx has changed in 3 months the Tsunami is DCC only by default.  I've used two, one on a Bachmann to Tsunami swap and one on a DCC Ready upgrade.  Both left me without DC operation at all.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tim

Rick

The Tsunami can be run on DC, you just need to turn DC mode on.
They ship with DC mode turned off as you stated.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

OkieRick

When I called tech support at Soundtraxx the guy told me setting CV to 6 was the most basic way to get DC (Analog Mode) back.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

rustyrails

Setting CV 29 to 6 enables analog mode (DC) and 28 speed steps.
Rusty