DCC/sound decoder for Spectrum HO #83005 Amtrak Acela HHP-8?

Started by ripvanwnkl, June 01, 2009, 10:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ripvanwnkl

Any recommendations/experience for DCC/sound decoder installation for subject loco? 

Thanks. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

OkieRick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

....or is it this one?

http://tinyurl.com/pp8g5d

If so, there may not be enough room for sound. I don't know anything about the Acelas, do they make "sounds"?    ???
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ripvanwnkl

Thanks for the info, Rick and Bob.  Altho' I haven't ridden the Acela or any electric in the USA, I rode a bunch of electrics in Europe last year.  They're very quiet, so I'll skip sound and go with motive DCC only.  Looks like simple plug n play. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Yampa Bob

Dave,

"Sounds" like a good idea. (pardon the pun).

Thanks for serving, I am also a veteran.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

mlrr

I plan to install sound in my HHPs.

FYI,

The prototype does make sounds.  Aside from (IMO) unique sounding horn, bell that every locomotive has, the locomotives traction motor has a wine and blower sound.  It humms constantly.  Once the locomotive is "cruising" you don't hear it as much but the sound is there and you don't have to concentrate much to hear it.

It may not have the hiss of a steam engine or the roar of a diesel locomotive but it still deserves consideration for sound.

QSI Solutions has plans to make sound files available for the Acela and HHP (virtually the same prime mover).
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com