News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP!!

Started by bevernie, June 02, 2009, 10:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

;)GREETINGS, ALL!! ???Once upon a time, several weeks ago, Iade a comment in another thread concerning the fact that I don't see layouts that would allow that trains might go the opposite direction on the same track, and I never got back to read the reply :-\; now, I can't find the thread!! >:(
   :oSO... Can a layout be made, and would it be practical to allow a train to go east or west on the same track?
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                        8)                                   Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

hotrainlover

I do it all the time on my layout.  I just pull the west bound into the siding, until the eastern freight passes..

I guess I could move my layout 90 degrees, and then I would have a North/South route    ;D

rustyrails

Hey, Ernie.  All you need is a reverse loop--a configuration that bends the track back towards itself until it connects to a turnout.  This causes some easily fixed electrical issues.  Go to your LHS and see if they don't have an Atlas track plan book or two for sale.  Most of them have six or seven layouts of increasing complexity, complete wiring diagrams, and several pages of good common sense discussion of electricity and track laying.  I think what you have in mind is often refered to as an "out and back."  A train leaves a terminal, runs on the main line for awhile, and then is switched through a reverse loop and returns to the terminal.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

OkieRick

I believe the Transcontinental Railroad - aka - Union Pacific started that way with the help a a bit of sidng.

Turnouts in the rght place and/or reverse loops would make it possible with a sisding to park one on to keep from crashing.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!!   And THANX!!, Guys, but what I'm trying to do is not necessarily a "reverse loop", but somehow laying my tracks in a configuration that would allow several trains to be run at the same, and going in different directions.  ::)
    I'm sure it can be done, though it might be a wiring problem! It would just be boring to have the trains all going arond a loop all the time!!
     :oI just haven't seen them, with the exception of a (1) reverse loop on a set. I'm trying to fix a layout that would allow any train to continue his run in the same direction, on any track. ???
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                           8)                                Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Guilford Guy

DCC would be the best way to do this...
Alex

pdlethbridge

If you want a double main line and lots of action, try a folded dogbone. It will give you trains going every which way and they can all be going the same direction but the layout gives the impression of 2 direction.