News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder instal on On30 Shay Bachamn

Started by fsm1000, May 17, 2009, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsm1000

I have installed a tsunami decoder on to my On30 Bachman shay and video taped the whole thing.

I have not found anything like this anyplace so I decided to share this with everyone so that you to can instal a decoder as well.

I hope that you find this helpful.

I am not a pro so please don't berate me for not having a professional video. At least I have tried. If anyone wants to give me a proper camcorder I will be happy to make better videos.

As it is I am using a camera in video mode and it is ok but not great.
Go to my main page and scroll down to the date "Saturday May 16th 2009" for the links to it.

Anyhow, for those who want this help it is here for you.

Enjoy :)

http://fsm1000.googlepages.com

NKline

Quote from: fsm1000 on May 17, 2009, 12:38:04 AM

I have installed a tsunami decoder on to my On30 Bachman shay and video taped the whole thing.

I have not found anything like this anyplace so I decided to share this with everyone so that you to can instal a decoder as well.

I hope that you find this helpful.

I am not a pro so please don't berate me for not having a professional video. At least I have tried. If anyone wants to give me a proper camcorder I will be happy to make better videos.

As it is I am using a camera in video mode and it is ok but not great.
Go to my main page and scroll down to the date "Saturday May 16th 2009" for the links to it.

Anyhow, for those who want this help it is here for you.

Enjoy :)

http://fsm1000.googlepages.com

I did this with my On30 Climax but the sound at the max setting is just not as loud as one with sound installed from the factory, have you experienced this as well? Thanks in advance for any information.

-Nathan

fsm1000

As this is my very first instal I have no idea if the factory ones are louder or not.
However to speculate it may be that the factory ones have "baffles" for the speakers. This will help to amplify the sound and give it more "resonance" making it appear to have more bass.

You can either buy specific baffles for your speaker or you can make your own. Mostly it is just a housing for the speaker and if you have a subwoofer you can see what it does for that for instance.
A baffle simply helps to direct and concentrate the sound of the speaker giving it more resonance among other things.

I hope that helps.

I am glad that someone has read this and taken the time to reply to it. Thanks Nathan for doing so :)

NKline

Quote from: fsm1000 on June 17, 2009, 12:45:40 AM
As this is my very first instal I have no idea if the factory ones are louder or not.
However to speculate it may be that the factory ones have "baffles" for the speakers. This will help to amplify the sound and give it more "resonance" making it appear to have more bass.

You can either buy specific baffles for your speaker or you can make your own. Mostly it is just a housing for the speaker and if you have a subwoofer you can see what it does for that for instance.
A baffle simply helps to direct and concentrate the sound of the speaker giving it more resonance among other things.

I hope that helps.

I am glad that someone has read this and taken the time to reply to it. Thanks Nathan for doing so :)

The factory ones may have baffles, I tried to use a soundtraxx baffle that was made for my speaker but there was just no room for it, even without a baffle it is a really extremely tight squeeze. I'm happy with the sound level though as it's not overbearing and I'll be walking along with it as I run it on my layout so it's not really an issue to me, I'm just more curious as to why than anything. Although I've already installed my decoder prior to seeing your video I must say your video is very helpful for someone tackling their first dcc/sound installation into the shay or climax, the most challenging part, in my opinion, is dealing with the limited space. Thank you for your reply and for posting your video, I'm sure it will help many other people that would like to install dcc/sound into their shay or climax locos.

-Nathan

fsm1000

I had hoped it would help someone, however the lack of response shows me that you are the only one so far that it seems to have helped in any way.
Oh well, stuff happens :)

NKline

Quote from: fsm1000 on June 17, 2009, 01:03:15 AM
I had hoped it would help someone, however the lack of response shows me that you are the only one so far that it seems to have helped in any way.
Oh well, stuff happens :)

I see it has alot of views though, that's a good sign, I'm sure it has helped but people just haven't gotten around to mentioning it yet. Keep up the good work, I'd like to see more of your installation "how to" videos if you get a chance to do anymore.

-Nathan

fsm1000

Thanks Nathan. As it is right now I only have these so far.
http://modelrailroadvideos.googlepages.com/
Hope they can help someone :)

NKline

Quote from: fsm1000 on June 17, 2009, 09:23:30 AM
Thanks Nathan. As it is right now I only have these so far.
http://modelrailroadvideos.googlepages.com/
Hope they can help someone :)

Very nice, lots of useful information there, thanks for the link.

-Nathan