News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

spectrum 80 ton Shay and DCC

Started by Axim1, June 04, 2009, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axim1

Have new Spectrum 80 ton three truck shay. Going to install Digitrx DZ125PS decoder. No instructions or illistration came in box and cannot find info on the net. Where do I align the decoder RED wire on the units 8 hole plug. Is it on the #4 or #8 location on the PC board in the tender. Also do I need to do anything else for lighting.

rustyrails

The NMRA color code for the 8-pin medium socket is like this:

1  Orange     8  Red
2  Yellow       7  Blue
3  N/A            6  White
4  Black         5  Gray

The #1 socket should be marked with a little arrow, a dot of paint...something unique.  If it is not marked, plug in the decoder anyway.  If the lights work, you got it right.  If the lights do not work, reverse the plug.  Hope this helps
Rusty

Axim1

Thanks Rusty, I'll give it a try tonite after makin-mo-train$.. Why does Bachman not supply a simple instruction and / or drawing with their DCC ready products? At least with the units that DO Have an NMRA plug. Would be a lot less dramatic for the end user.

Yampa Bob

Hi Axim,
Welcome to the other 50 million modelers who wonder about the lack of documentation.

Of course, if the companies did furnish adequate instructions, this forum would shut down and we wouldn't have the pleasure of meeting you.  8)

Have fun.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

How true does this hold in the 80 ton Shay case?

This was given to me by a very wise & locomotve smart individual.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Axim1

rustyrails

rcjs

Recently acquired spectrum shay 80 ton.  Know decoder goes in tender but cannot figure out how same dismantles.  Are there assembly/dissassembly instructions, other than the diagram?

WoundedBear

Flip the Shay upside down. Disconnect the two small electrical connectors at bottom/front of tender. There is a small silver drawbar coupling the tender to the chassis. Remove the screw from tender end. Slip the tender away from chassis and out of driveline coupler.

Next, find the 2 small screws holding the one end of the tender down. Undo these, and carefully pull the ladder pins from the tender.

The tender top should pop off now. Go slowly. Once it is off, remove the jumper plug on the circuit board and plug in your 44915. Make sure the orange pin (#1) is oriented correctly and gently push the plug into the socket until firmly seated. Reassemble your Shay.

Hope this helps.

Sid

Axim1

Just finished installation in my new shay, with help from forum members, the ladder reinstall was the hardest part. If you happen to plug decoder in backwards and the lights do not work, witch I did first, just unplug and rotate 180. Everything works great on my Shay.

OkieRick

Congratulations!  Are ou passing out cigars?

OkieRick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman