News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can Bachmann booster be used with Zephyr?

Started by Running Bear, October 24, 2008, 04:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Running Bear

I recently got a Digitrax Zephyr and I need to know if I can use it with the Bachmann 5 amp booster.
Running Bear

r0bert

Running Bear

Thanks. I didn't want to hook it up and blow something.
Running Bear

WGL

Running Bear, how did you connect your Bachmann 5 amp booster to your Zephyr?  I have the Bachmann booster & may get the Zephyr, but I'm not sure that its 2.5 amps is enough for my layout.  The Bachmann booster connects from EZ Command's To Track output into its DCC input via a cord with the same size plugs on each end.

Bill

rustyrails

You had best ask Digitrax.  Generally speaking, the throttle, command station and booster all need to be from the same manufacturer.  That's a very conservative response, but you have a LOT of expensive magic smoke there.

Rusty

WGL

Rusty, I am going by what Jim Banner replied to me:
Re: Digitrax Zephyr, Decoder Pro, and sound decoders
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: WGL on May 19, 2009, 01:30:06 AM
... if I wanted to use my Bachmann 5 amp booster with a Digitrax Zephyr, I'd have to create a second power district insulated from the first ...

That would be true only if you wanted to use the output of your booster and the output of the Zephyr at the same time.  Then you would have a total of 7.5 amps available to your layout, 5 amps in one power district and 2.5 amps in the other. **

But if you want to connect your booster and a Zephyr the same way as you do with the E-Z Command (output of the command station to the input of the booster, output of the booster to all the trackage) then you would have the same 5 amps available as you would with your E-Z Command setup.

** Note: For technical reasons, you may not be able to use both outputs at the same time, even if you set up two power districts.  Some boosters are designed in such a way that you cannot use more than one of them on a layout.  The MRC Power Station 8 is such a booster.  The jury is still out on the E-Z Command booster.

I researched Digitrax's website, & they discourage one from connecting a booster to the Zephyr, instead of using separate power districts to avoid a short stopping they entire layout.  I want to avoid separate power districts.

Thanks, Bob, for your evidence that the Zephyr's 2.5 amps can run 4 locos with sound.  My Intermountain F7A-B both have sound, because I could not get a powered B unit without sound.

gcodori

Quote from: rustyrails on May 29, 2009, 12:00:51 PM
You had best ask Digitrax.  Generally speaking, the throttle, command station and booster all need to be from the same manufacturer.  That's a very conservative response, but you have a LOT of expensive magic smoke there.

Rusty

Actually, you can use boosters from any maker with most systems.  In fact, there are some pretty simple DIY boosters you can build yourself (and save cash).  I would suggest using a separate power district, as not all boosters have the same safety features (signal loss, thermal shutdown, shorts, etc).  Having a separate district will allow you to continue running as one booster shuts down.

Greg

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Thanks, Greg.  I just did connect my new Zephyr to my Bachmann 5 amp booster, which yields performance almost as good as EZ Command + booster.  Thus, I now have the capability to program locomotive decoders, plus a spare command station.