Multiple DCC turnout, accessory & device control

Started by OkieRick, June 07, 2009, 08:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

Does Bachmann make or license a multiple DCC control "device" like the Digitrax DS64 ( http://www.digitrax.com/prd_statdec_ds64.php ) or NCE Switch 8 ( http://tinyurl.com/rbkb2l ) for turnouts, road crossings, etc?

NCE has a Mini Panel ( http://murattekbilek.com/ncedcc/ ) device that will control up to 30 different switch-types or push buttons.

"You can have up to 30 pushbuttons, toggle switches, block detectors,etc.

Can be connected for control of turnouts, signals and other devices."

I know the Mini Panel is for DCC systems using ProCab and Power Cab controllers but is it for (will it operate) non-NEC turnouts such as Atlas or Bachmann turnouts or accessories?  Does every accessory require a DCC address?

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

pdlethbridge

does it come with its own power source? That is one thing I considered when I bought the ds 64's

Tim

Rick

"Does every accessory require a DCC address?"  Yes.

PD

"Does it come with it's own power source ?"  No it is powered from the cab buss.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

OkieRick

Quote from: pdlethbridge on June 07, 2009, 11:14:18 PM
does it come with its own power source? That is one thing I considered when I bought the ds 64's

PD,

As Tim pointed out it has "simple hookup, one Cab Bus connection and 2 wires for each pushbutton or other input device"

Build the kind of control panels you've always
                     wanted without complicated wiring!

Use one button to control multiple switches or macros on your NCE DCC
  Up to 30 pushbuttons, toggle switches, block detectors, etc. can be connected for control of turnouts, signals and other devices
  Easy programming, just plug in a ProCab
  Simple hook up, one Cab Bus connection and 2 wires for each
pushbutton or other input device
  Can be used to perform simple automatic train control and other
layout automation tasks

Mmmmaybe I'm expecting too much out of this.  It is a similar device as the DS64 - it is a multiple machine controller isn't it?

Rick

pdlethbridge

Every gadget we add is basically another decoder. If we have 6 decoder equiped locos and decoders controling our switch machines, this adds a burden to a 2 amp system. The ds-64's are powered by the wall wort but controlled by the NCE power cab. 3 ds-64's would be adding 3 decoders to the system if they were not self powered. I can keep my system at 2 amps without overloading it with 3 or 4 engines running.

OkieRick

The Mini Panel docs say...

Installation Notes:
The mini panel runs off Cab Bus power (nominal 12V DC) and draws about 90mA of current, slightly less than a ProCab. NOTE: When used with a PowerCab use the mini panel must be used with the address of 3

I have foam to form yet.  I'll use '64s.

Thanks-
Rick

pdlethbridge

They work great, Rick. You'll be happy with them.