News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diagrams for GP-35 Diesel (Plus)

Started by hotrainlover, June 14, 2009, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear All,
I can not find the GP-35 unit diagram info on this site.  I want to convert it to DCC, but need a visual picture.  Did Bachmann build the GP-40's and GP-35's the same?

Yampa Bob

Hi Lee,
I have both the GP35 and GP40, both came dcc equipped with what I call a decoder board, in other words the decoder is integrated into the light board.

They are similar in the respect of not having much room for a decoder. Recently I have been suggesting the NCE replacement DCC board, designed specifically for Bachmann diesels.  You might check it out and see what you think. Caboose Hobbies sells it for about $15.  Nice price, and excellent instructions on the PDF file. In fact, the best instructions I've seen, tells you not only how to make changes, but also the benefits of making the change, all in just 8 pages. Note that the capacitors to be clipped are on top of your motor, under the board.

http://www.ncedcc.com/images/stories/manuals/bachdv35.pdf

Page 7 is almost blank, be sure to read page 8 for default settings. On page 5 are great instructions for setting up special lighting effects, or "Hyperlights" I think they are called.

I reserved a couple, to be picked up on my next trip to Denver. I plan to install them in my GP40s for a quieter drive and lighting possibilities. I see no reason why they wouldn't work in your DC models as well.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

Bob,
Mine does have a board, it is just a light board with spring like clips that "Touch" the 2 halves of the frame.  It does not look like the one in the link you have here..  I did save it though!! 
I must have a "Older" unit?  Thanks for the help tho, Bob.

Yampa Bob

You must have an older split frame unit. If you look at the diagram for the current DC GP40, notice the trucks and motor are apparently isolated, with all the wires leading to the top. The GP35 is probably the same.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you to isolate everything, but the NCE board might still work.  It replaces the board you have.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jward

this link shows how to install dcc in a h16-44, but the gp35 is almost identical. i have followed these instructions many times, without problems.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

hotrainlover

Bob and Jward,
Yes I do have the older split frame unit.  I installed a DZ125 decoder, put in LED lights...
That is the link I had looked at, and it works the same.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

And it is a great runner.  Thanks for the help!!

hotrainlover

Update to All,
I want you all to know that this unit works much better that expected.  Friends at the club were wrong about the adaptability of the "Plus" units by Bachmann.
I need more "Plus" units!  Now to swindle from the unsuspecting on Ebay!!   ;D

jward

this is one of the problems in this hobby. there are people who would rather follow the "conventional wisdom" than to check things out for themselves. at one time, bachmann locomotives were of low quality, similar to tyco or AHM. that changed about 20 years ago, but no matter how much quality has improved there are those who will look down on anything backmann makes.

i for one have been impressed with the quality of recent bachmann products.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA