Bachmann Spectrum Engines - Factory Weathered.

Started by Pacific Northern, June 08, 2009, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I was recently doing routine maintenance, cleaning and oiling, on my HO Spectrum engines.

As I proceeded through the roaster of engines I came to one of the 2-6-6-2 engines.  I had almost forgotten that this engine had come pre-weathered from the factory.

How many other engines did Bachmann offer to the publc that were weathered.?
Pacific Northern

Tylerf

i never knew bachmann factory weathered anything? i know that factory weathering seems to be a relatively new thing favored by athearn. Are you sure it maybe wasent pre owned and weathered by that person.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Tylerf on June 08, 2009, 06:37:50 PM
i never knew bachmann factory weathered anything? i know that factory weathering seems to be a relatively new thing favored by athearn. Are you sure it maybe wasent pre owned and weathered by that person.

The gold label on the box for this engine states s "weathered".

The weathering is very subtle, it consists mainly of white smudging on the engine along the domes across the top of the engine, there is no weathering on the wheels, valve gear or rods.

If you look in some of the old model railroad magazine ads you will see "WE" added next to the model number of the 2-6-6-2 engines.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Yes, Bachmann offered a weathere 2-6-6-2 which had a different cab number than the unweathered and cost something like $50 more, MSRP.  I'm not sure they sold very well because of the extensive mark up. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Factory weathering started in the UK about five or more years ago, probably by Bachmann.

Pacific Northern

Did Bachmann offer any other steamers in an of there other gauges weathered?

I compared the weathered 2-6-6-2 to the unweathered model and you really have to look to see the weathering it is so subtle.  I certainly would not have paid a $50.00 premium.
Pacific Northern