News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD40-2

Started by Cody J, June 08, 2009, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

What is the minimum radius for a Bachmann SD40-2 to fit around a curve?

Thanks,
Cody J
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Yampa Bob

From the Bachmann catalog:  "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Cody J

Thanks for the information.

-Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jward

while they will run on 18" radius, a locomotive that big can pull the adjacent cars off the track on turns that sharp. i'd go with 22" or 24" if you have the room. it will perform much better on wider radius turns.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bobwrgt

I have Bachmann, Broadway, and Athearn SD40-2's and all run just fine on 18in radius. Even the Kato sd38-2 is OK. 
They would look better on 22 or larger but I don't have room.
You may also try changing the rear coupler to a long shank  for better swing. I have one freight car with long shank at front of train and it works fine with all the 6 axel engines.

Bob

Yampa Bob

I run long six axle diesels on my 18" layout, never had a problem with pulling cars off the tracks, even at full throttle . The rear swingout is minimal, I'm still using the stock McHenry couplers that came on my Athearn models.

As for "appearance", that is up to each modeler's personal judgement, I think they look great on the curves, very little overhang.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

mf5117

I run my B&N sd40-2 all day long , on 18" and 22" radius curves . just take it slow threw the switches . Keep the wheel trucks clean , they pick up alot of gunk.