News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can Motor in DCC Ready loco

Started by OkieRick, June 16, 2009, 05:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

What is a can motor?  I'm looking at a DCC Ready "goat" 0-6-0 steam switcher with a can motor at http://www.historicrail.com

Are they reliable & long lasting?  Worth making into DCC?

Thanks-

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

jward

can motors are fully enclosed, and more reliable and smoother running than the older open frame motors. i'd say more important than the can motor is the dcc ready provision in that locomotive dcc ready means you won't have to rewire the locomotive to isolate the motor from the frame,

often dcc ready locomotives have either an 8 pin or 9 pin plug that you can connect a decoder to. is your locomotive the 0-6-0 tank engine? if so, tit has a 9 pin plug, and a digitrax dh123 or 163 will plug right in.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rustyrails

Rick,
In the old days, DC motors were open-frame design.  That is you could see the armature, commutator, brushes, etc.  They could be good performers, but they tended to be large.  Pittman was a major manufacturer and I believe it is still in business.  The first small "can motors" (enclosed mechanism) I remember seeing were in slot cars in the mid-60's.  In the late 70's to early 80's, driven by the growing poplularity of smaller scales, N-scale especially, manufacturers began producing high quality small electric motors for model railroad use.  These were typically 5 pole and enclosed.  There were several "enthusiast brands" and re-motoring became a hobby within the hobby.  The term "can motor" refers to the metal can used to completely enclose the armature, commutator, and brushes.  The vast majority of motors used in model locomotives today are of the can type.  I think the last open frame motor I remember seeing was in a Bowser kit maybe 10 years ago.  Can motors are good things.
Rusty

Jim Banner

A can motor is an enclosed motor with an outside shell shaped much like a tin can.  With this style of construction, it is possible to align the magnets and the armature that spins inside them very precisely, allowing a smaller air gap between armature and magnet which in turn gives a smaller motor with more torque (turning power) for less current.  This is important for DCC because the decoders all have maximum current ratings that you cannot exceed, and ones with high current ratings tend to be physically large.

Can motors may be straight wound with the wire coils in the armature parallel to the motors shaft or they may be skew wound with the coils angled compared to the armature.  The latter gives smoother running at low speed which is important, particularly for switchers.  Bachmann uses skew wound motors in their locomotives.  Can motors may have replaceable bushes so that they can be repaired when the brushes wear out or they may have totally enclosed brushes which means you have to throw the motor away when the brushes wear out.  Bachmann uses motors with replaceable brushes.  Older open motors often had 3 poles and some can motors have three poles, but the better ones have at least five poles for smoother running and less current draw.  There are small can motors with a dozen or more poles and these would be ideal for model railroad use if they did not cost hundreds of dollars each.  Bachmann and many other companies use five pole motors as a good compromise between performance and price.  A five pole, skew wound can motor with one or two flywheels, coupled to good gears and wheels, can give truly excellent performance.  With a bit of tender loving care, namely proper lubrication of the locomotive and maybe a set of brushes once in a long while, such a motor can keep giving excellent performance for many decades.

I am not familiar with the model you are looking at.  If the retailer cannot tell you the details of the motor in it, the manufacturer certainly should be able to.  But in general, a can motor should qualify it as "DCC worthy."  If you are doing the installation yourself, take the time and do ALL the steps, making sure it runs well on dc before you start and measuring motor stall current to make sure it is compatible with the decoder you select.  Some switchers have very little space and require N-scale or Z-scale decoders.  The Bachmann 0-6-0 Tank switcher, for examples, needs a decoder smaller than a dime, and I usually use a Digitrax DZ123 or DZ125 in them. 

Once in a while, a locomotive that seems reliable and leads you to expect a long life does not live up to its initial promise.  In that case, it is always possible to remove the decoder and use it again in another locomotive.  Hopefully others who have used this particular locomotive will post their experiences so that we can all learn.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

OkieRick

The said steam switcher is a Mantua Classics - ATSF loco.  It is one of 4 lines available. http://tinyurl.com/l6wok3 

"The Camelback - or "Goat" - switcher was created as a way for railroads using anthracite coal to better utilize the cleaner burning fuel.

Replicating one such "Goat," this DCC-ready, HO scale, Mantua Classics model features finely molded locomotive and tender bodies; a powerful can motor for excellent low-speed operation and pulling power; a die cast chassis; operating head and rear lights; a three-piece brass bell; a metal valve gear and handrails; a simulated coal load; die cast wheels with nickel rims; magnetically operated knuckle couplers; Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe markings; and more. 6¾" long; arrives ready to run."

As you can see the ad info gives no hint about an 8 pin NMRA or 9 pin presence.  I'll check out Mantua or make a call.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

pdlethbridge

Rusty, Bowser still uses open frame motors in their steamers, but this new motor, a DC71, is 5 pole scewed with each brush wired and insulated from the rest of the motor thus making it DCC friendly. I have one in my Bowser USRA light mike I'm building. It runs really good in DCC.

Tim

Rick

The loco that you have is a "Mantua Classic" made by Model Power.

To determine the type of connector call  1-800-628-2803 this is the
Model Power number,  they may be able to send you the paperwork
for your loco as well.

They are in Farmingdale NY, Eastern time.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA