News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout operation

Started by pdlethbridge, June 23, 2009, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Well this is the final question. We have discussed layout size, control prototype and era. Now its time for a discussion of operation.
Do you just run the trains for fun, do you try to keep to a schedule, do you use cards or papers to organize and run your railroad?
   I thought about this for a while and came up with a couple of ways. First , I run to test both a locos operation and settings.(cv's)
   I run to have fun and show my trains.
   I run using cards and numbers assigned for setting out cars. Mostly it is just letters on the cars and I have to match them to the letters on the sidings. Very simple but it can be a challenge. New game, all I have to do is change the letters on the cars.

ebtnut

For a formal operating session I use the Old Line Graphics card system, which I believe is available from MicroMark.  Each car has a card folded up to form a slot that holds the waybill.  The waybills have four areas to direct the car's movements, and you turn the card or flip it to get four different moves.  When done with the fourth move, pull the waybill out and the car card has a space to direct its "final" movement (i.e., Empty Car West). 

Now, this is more trouble than it's worth for some folks.  They may simple elect to write up a switch list for how many cars in a train they want to set out or pick up. 

Or, just run your trains, set them in yard when your done, maybe swtich some of the consists around. 

Bottom line, do what you enjoy doing.  Maybe take baby steps towards more complex operating systems.  Keep it fun. 

Guilford Guy

I try to run realistic ops, using the car card system from Micro Mark
http://www.micromark.com/CAR-ROUTING-SYSTEM-STARTER-PACK,8282.html

MI-1 works out of Morrisville Vt which is not modeled, to Innsmouth. In Innsmouth, the crew pulls onto the passing siding, allowing the excursions (which the real LVRC did run) to depart and run to staging. The crew then goes to work switching Ciment Quebec(green), Lamoille Lumber (red), and St Johnsbury Trucking (blue). The train is then organized, and if the crew is behind schedule they must wait for the excursion to arrive before proceeding. When the excursion departs again, or dead heads to staging, the crew moves the caboose(a shoving platform in this case) to the other end of the train, and the crew shoves the cars for Veryfine (red/orange) up along the Innsmouth River. They switch out the cars for Veryfine, and then runa back into Innsmouth Center to put the train back together before the excursion gets back. Now classified as IM-2, they wait on the siding for the excursion to return. Once the excursion returns the freight proceeds to staging, where they finish up by putting the buggy(B&M for caboose) on the other end of the train for the next session. The short run around in Innsmouth Center, and the 3 facing point industries all make it a challenge!
Alex

Tylerf

I too use a order card system when I want to do a formal operating session and have a purpose for my switching but sometimes I just preffer to build up a nice looking couple of trains and run them not worrying about switching. This is also the case when I have vistors that just want to see a few prototypical trains running. I also enjoy sitting at my RTC control desk and running some reliable trains of varying lengths and using train detection only, to tell me where the trains are.
Also I do enjoy learning about all the different layouts people have and I've gotten some good ideas from this but I can't remember was there something being done with this information?

jettrainfan

I try to keep 2 freights, 1 passenger, 1 trolley run and 1-2 switching jobs a session. I do change it around. DCC does its magic. 8) i run for fun and show. I don't have cards or markings. just running trains in different ways. I do use a motorized roatery snow plow from walthers made in the 1990's, I usually use my Gp9m Operation Lifesaver diesel for that service.(http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/wtl/wtl108.htm) And that is my usual operation. I do get some crazy ideas.... SW1 with gp40= :o....! amazing 8).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

rustyrails

Since my layout is still under construction, I'm not ready to operate yet.  When I'm farther along, I'll start using a waybill system I've used in the past.  It's based on a system discribed by Robert Schleicher in several of his books.  It's greatest advantage is that it's very inexpensive to set up. It's also very easy to tune once I've watched it move cars for a few sessions. 

I don't think I'm going to operate with a fast clock and timetable.  But I may use what's sometimes called a sequential timetable or sequential ooperation.  Working from a list of the day's trains,  the first train is dispatched from staging, does its job and returns to staging.  Then the second train is dispatched, and so on.  This works really well for one operator. My mainline is single track, but there is a continuous run connection, so I can run one train unattended (ie: party mode    ;D  ).   

First things first, though.  There will be a lot of random train running to test the track.  Derailments caused by problems with the track are unacceptable. Also, I've got some decoders to install and test, which means more random running.  And sometimes, I just like to kick back, prop my feet up, and watch a train.

Rusty

jonathan

I really just like to watch the trains run.  I have a freight yard with industries, and cars that would frequent those industries.  I can put together cars and send them out to the mainline.  I can stop a passenger train on my commuter station while another one passes.  But that's just not my bag, man! 

I would rather set 3 or 4 trains in motion, and just wander around the layout, getting down to HO eye level, checking out the scenery and the trains passing, especially when they meet.  I've always wanted a double track mainline, just to watch the trains pass each other by.  I set one at a slightly different speed so they never meet at the same place twice.  For me it's about the art of creating a scene that draws you in. 

I don't have a clue about waybills or a card system.  Heard of 'em... just not interested for now.  There's a good chance I'll get bored of just looking someday.  For now,  I'll just stand around going "Choo Choooooooo!"

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i am not sure which waybill system i will use on this one. i've used car cards, and once in n scale i used coloured map pin heads. n scale car numbers are way too hard to read.

if i can find a good one, i'd like to try a computer genetated switch list on this one.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WGL

I've just been building my layout, acquiring locomotives & rolling stock, adding cargo to my freight cars, & arranging consists so that each train runs smoothly.   Now, I'm learning to program.

I will have to look up "waybills."  I can't imagine running a train for one lap to complete its job, so I wonder how those who use schedules decide the distance or time for a train to complete its run.  I wish there were a way to count laps without having to watch & count, which would take most of my attention.  I suppose setting a timer would be a possibility.

pdlethbridge

I tried the simple system. Each location, siding, that has an industry is given a letter, A-whatever. Each car is assigned a letter. When you make up a train, Grab, for instance cars A-G, as your train and switch them to the appropriate sidings. Next session, switch the letters on the cars and start over. I use pieces of paper, some use tacks. Just have fun. There is really no set rules.

Yampa Bob

We just enjoy running our trains, no cards, manifests, waybills or timetables. We do have an operating plan of sorts, so we don't create a bottleneck. (or a crash)  
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BestSnowman

I mostly operate for fun but I am working on a computerized waybill program.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

rogertra

Car-Cards and Waybills for freight cars, passenger cars, cabooses and locomotives.

16 scheduled trains to and from 5 destinations plus the occasional freight extra.

As I operate in 1958, all cabooses are assigned to scheduled trains as are the locomotives.  No just tacking any convenient van onto a freight train as that just wasn't done.  The conductor, and his crew, would be really P/Oed.  :)

As per the prototype, I assign locomotives to trains so it behoves the enginehouse foreman to be aware of what engines are assigned to what trains so that the train engine is at the front of the outbound turntable and roundhouse lead and not trapped behind other locos.

Like the prototype, engines are also taken out of service on an (Imaginary) rota for boiler washouts so that I can ring the changes each session.  Engines undergoing boiler washouts are placed in 'stall one' in the roundhouse and a "washout" tab is placed in their car-card.

Passenger cars are also assigned to runs but as I only operate one passenger train, that's not a big deal.  However, in the next GER there will be more passenger trains so the passenger car-cards and waybills will become more important to operation.

Keep in mind this is the way I like to operate.  If you just like to run trains with no consideration of how it's done on the real railways, that's your choice and more power to you.  There's no right and wrong way.

jward

a simple way to determine which engines need a "boiler wash" or inspection is to use the date to determine which ones are out of service. example, to-day is the 24th, all engines with numbers ending in 4 are not to be dispatched on trains to-day. to-morrow, the 4s go back into service and the 5s go to the shop.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

That's a good system. You could even add diesels in for their maintenance on those numbered days