News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HHP-8 Ditch Light

Started by MARC TRAIN, June 26, 2009, 01:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARC TRAIN

I want to put LED ditch light in a HHP-8. What type of decoder should I use. What type of LEDS to use. What everything I need. How to install it.

Thank you

Tylerf

This is a project that will take some expirience. first, you just need a decoder with function pads which is mainly all of them, that gives you F1, f3, and f4 to control speciallty lighting(ie, ditch lights). As for what kind of LEDs, it doesent really matter so find ones that will fit the best, most LEDs are 1.5v so the hardest part will be finding a suitable resistor(one for each LED)that can bring the direct track power of the function pads, about 12-14v down to the LEDs 1.5v. You will need to attach one of the leads( one from each LED tied together)to the light common pad, then from there if you want the LED to work independently from eachother for say getting them to osilate then attach the other leads from the the LEDs and attach both to different function pads, if you just want both ogether than put them together on the same pad. The resistors go after the common pad and before the LED. other than that it just comes down to installing them in the locomotive. I also suggest looking at modelrailroader as they have a few how to's on installing LED headlights.

MARC TRAIN

Is modelrailroader a web site

Tylerf

It's a magazine, that also has a very good website with tons of articles and resources, including articles on white LEDs and different lighting wiring.