How to install continuously welded track

Started by richg, December 20, 2012, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

I am quite sure many have not seen how this is done. I should have done a video but I am quite sure you could find this subject on You Tube.
This is at the town line of Northampton/Easthampton, MA on the Pan Am Railway line. It is quite a long train. The first weld for this new stretch is right after a turnout into a box factory.

Rich

richg

I went back today and took some photos. No idea when upgrade will be finished. I am keeping an eye out for the machine that will do the installation. That ought to be something. I have seen some You Tube videos of track laying equipment.

136 lb rail.

Heavier rail.

I am standing at the start of a turnout. The hopper cars are on a passing siding loaded with coal for a nearby coal fired power plant.

Rail ready for installation.

Had to edit this. Photo Bucket was not cooperating.

Rich

richg

Ok, it is long sections of track. The are bolt holes on each end. No idea if a weld is done at the time of installation. These sections must be nearly an eight of a mile long. At one time, 39 feet was a section of rail. There are still a few stacks of that type of rail in the area.

Rich

Ken G Price

Rich, thanks for the pictures.
Between the ones you have on the trains forum and here it will help many to visualize this method of rail installation.
As you know, there are some really good videos that show the installation of this rail if those reading this do a search on the web.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jward

rich

thanks for posting those photos. here is a little background on the process.

the train you saw is distributing "ribbonrail" for later installation. you saw them dropping the new rail sections. later, they will come back and retrieve the old sections using the reverse process to load the train.

welded rail is usually installed during warmer weather. if it needs to be installed in the winter, in an emergency situation it must be heated. this is because of the expansion of the rail during warmer weather. rail laid during cold weather without heating will expand during warmer weather and create "sun kinks" which can derail trains.

the bolt holes in the ends of the rail are for temporary installation of joint bars when the rail is laid. they will usually try to get the rail installed and in service as quickly as possible, then come back later and do the final welding.

btw, the rail sections are usually 1/4 mile long. rail is usually rolled in sections about 70-80 feet long, then transported to the railroad itself. many railroads have their own rail welding plants where the sections are butt welded together into 1/4 mile long ribbonrail for transport to job sites.

i am not sure if they do this anymore, but they used to swap rails on curves to even wear. on a curve, the outside rail wears much faster than the inside rail, so it was common to switch the two rather than rjust replace the outer rail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

I would love to see how a section this long is made. Might show up sometime on, How It's Made.
I now remember someone who drove along the train and measure 1/4 mile. The term ribbon rail now comes back to me. Thanks.
There is suppose to be an upgrade as this section will be used by Amtrak in a couple years. From Springfield MA up to somewhere in Greenfield, MA is being upgraded. A close friend works for the DPW in Northampton, MA.

Here is a link about ribbon rail if anyone is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_%28rail_transport%29

Rich

RAM

They will come along with 10 to 15 track equipment.   The first unit will pull the spikes.   The next unit will pick up the new rail, the first wheels will run on the old rails, the old rails will be moved out of the  way and the new rail will be moved into place then the back wheels will run on the new rail.  the following units will re-spike the rails, remove and clean & replace the ballast.  The last unit level the track.