News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Climax gears

Started by jerryl, July 09, 2009, 10:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryl

GOOD NEWS...Just got the latest catalog from NWSL & they are working on new gears for the HO Climax.  They are having problems with the driveshaft, but it looks solveable.   The gears for the Shay are available for about $25.   They are also looking at some of the On30 engines.   Jerry

WoundedBear

Thanks for the reminder on the Shay gear sets. I just spoke with Linda and ordered 3 sets.

She said the packaging is a little large because of the detailed instructions they supply. She says they are a press fit gear, not a slip-on-and-glue style. Sounds good so far.

Sid

Ken Huck

I ordered 4 sets of the Shay gears, they're brass.  Will need a set for the
Climax too.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Ken Huck

Correction to my 'above' post.

Just got my gear sets today, they are blackened steel.

I'm drooling...

EBradbury

That is good to know.  the climax has one truck gear split and all the axle rings (used to center the axles) are split.  Any idea  when NWSL will have gears and driveshaft?  Hope soon

I was at the NMRA National Train Show (displayer) where Bachmann Rep told me to send loco back with $ and they will repair.  I don't have a warm fuzzy about doing this based on past forum discussions.  Also is it a fix or just a temporary fix; split gear(s) again.

Wonder if Bachmann was waiting for someone else to solve problem?

jerryl

From what I heard, if it's returned they will replace it with another type of engine because the Climax is out of production. They are probably waiting for NWSL to make the replacement parts. Don't know if thier factory is set up for machining metal.  Like I said before, bachmann should make the superstructure & NWSL the mechanism for all future locos.
   You should really ask  Bachmann for the details.   Jerry

rz1600

You can use the 13 teeth steel Shay gears from NWSL for replacement for the Climax 12 teeth. Just have to glue them on as the hole in the gears in bigger than the hole in the original.
I had 5 of 6 gears that were split and replaced them with the shay ones. The locomotive runs very well now. Mine didn't run at all out of the box but sending it back was out of question as I bought it few days ago and the engine is not produced anymore or not for now.