News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay problem

Started by ilovenxstage, July 10, 2009, 07:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovenxstage

Hi, I just received the HO three truck Shay, and it is a beautiful model, but it's not running. I'm using my old DCC system to power my test track (I don't have a functioning layout right now), but the locomotive is analog. I've never had a problem before with running analog engines with a DCC system. Anyhoo, I ran the Shay back and forth a few times on the test track, and suddenly the motor stops, and shorts out the system. Before it shorts, the lights are on, but the motor is dead. I took the tender shell of to access the circuit board, and everything looks ok, but I haven't taken the rest of the engine apart, so I don't know what the motor and the rest of the wiring looks like. Has anyone had this happen before? Even though I don't have a layout right now, I'd like to still have my engines functioning, in hopes that I will be able to build a layout once I have space for one.

OkieRick

Bump.  Shay owners?

Do you have access to a DC transformer to use?  If you're using E Z Command you should be able to run it on #10.

luck-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

the Bach-man

Dear I,
What DCC system are you using?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ilovenxstage

I'm using the old MRC Command 2000. I did have a dc power pack, but It has gone missing since I had to dismantle my old layout, so I'm using the DCC unit for my test track. I've never had a problem with running any of my other non DCC units with the MRC system, including my dc Spectrum 4-6-0. I'm still nervous about taking the loco itself apart, because I don't want to damage the details.

Chris350

I can't test this on my own shay since it's in the "barn" as it were pending a new layout being built... But are there two tethers under the cab running to the tender?  I want to think that one is the motor control and the other is lights... Perhaps one needs to be reseated.  My only other thought is to make sure the jumper in the DCC socket is fully seated, and oriented in the proper direction, although I think this isn't an issue.  In fact mine may have had the older(?) two piece jumpers so maybe if that the case one is loose and the other is seated.  Failing those checks, I think you need to crawl under the hood. 

jerryl

Most DC models do not run well on DCC.  The carrier voltage acts like AC & will quickly overheat the motor.  If the motor heats up enough it will melt the insulation on the windings & results in a dead short & a dead motor.
   Hope this isn't the case, but it may well be. If you have an Ohm meter you can isolate the motor & check for a dead short.  Good Luck

ilovenxstage

I was fiddling with it a little more, and it started running again, just as mysteriously as it stopped. It runs perfectly with no problems. I'm not going to risk damage by continuing to use my DCC unit to power it. I know it runs again, and that's all that matters right now, since I can only run it back and forth on a two foot test track. When I can build a new layout, all my locos will get decoders, and I'll probably update my ancient DCC unit as well. Thanks for all the advice.

hotrainlover

Make sure the plugs that connect the tender to the main body is pushed in all the way.  Carefully check them, as they are fragile.