News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

question

Started by george50, December 09, 2012, 08:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

george50

I am thinking of getting into the N scale trains. However I only have an area of 2' wide and 4' long. Can I put a set up in this area or am I day dreaming? If I can set something up in this area, any ideas. I like to have something more than an oval regarding track design. Open to any and all help :)

mhampton

Check out http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm.  There are several 2'x4' layouts there that should be adaptable to Bachmann components.

Fred Klein

George50,

If you don't mind a single-track mainline, Bachmann makes their EZ track in an 11-1/4 inch radius which would make for a 22-1/2 inch diameter loop. As far as I know, this is the radius of the curves that ship with all of the starter sets. If you can squeeze another 2 inches or so out of your space, then you could go to the 12-1/2 in radius curves which would make for a 25 inch diameter loop. The 11-1/4 inch and 12-1/2 inch radii nest very nicely inside of one another with about 3/4 inch of space between them and that would allow you to run a two-track mainline. Either way, you could branch off from the mainline with a switch ( or more) and put in a yard, industry, etc. in the center. Another option would be be to go with another manufacturers track, such as Atlas, which makes a slightly smaller radius.

Hope this helps,

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL