News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my birthday

Started by JD417, July 23, 2009, 01:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD417

My parents will buy me one engine of my choice for my birthday anyone one have a good idea of which one to pick? ???

pdlethbridge

How big is your layout? What scale? Steam or diesel? What era? Radius of your curves?  Anolog or DCC?
For example, a HO, steam era, DCC layout with 18" radius curves might use a spectrum 4-4-0, 4-6-0, or 2-8-0. They also come with sound.
A HO layout, modern era, analog layout, with 22" radius or larger curves, any of the spectrum diesels, like a GP35 or SD45, would be good, even though they are DCC units, they will still run on analog

SteamGene

Exactly.  We need to have more information to give an educated suggestion.   Another item - what is your favorite railroad/railroads?  For instance, I'm a steam fan, but have no use for PRR, SP, or UP steam.   Period.   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jettrainfan

plus what is the price range?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

simkon

I'd get my money's worth and if you like steam & articulates a big boy or challenger (genesis), or the new bachmann 2-6-6-2 wouldn't be too bad and make sure to get sound.  If you don't got big enough curves get a streamliner like a blue goose or a grey goose, or get an EMD model 40 critter by MDC/Rounhouse, they're neat little things:)

CNE Runner

First off: HAPPY BIRTHDAY J.D!!!!!

I am going to assume that you are young enough to have seen very few operating steam locomotives...right? Diesel engines are what you have been exposed to for all of your life and are the power units of choice on our rail system today. Therefore I would choose a diesel. [BTW: I model the latter part of the 19th century AND am old enough to have witnessed steam locomotives on regular service...but I do love a large diesel.]

OK...there are lots of diesel locomotives to choose from; so which one? I would go with a GP38-2. If there ever was a workhorse, on most railroads today, it would be the GP38-2. This model locomotive has 4 axles - making it very forgiving of tight radius curves and small turnouts (as opposed to the SD-40 with 6 axles).

Models of the GP38-2 can be had in numerous road names and in many price ranges. Most of the major manufacturers produce some variant of this engine. You can decide on DC verses DCC, sound vs no sound, as well as detail level. If cost is an issue, I would opt for a DCC-ready model and upgrade it to DCC should your need or funding warrant.

Good hunting and have a wonderful birthday...have a second piece of cake on me!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"