News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin RF-16's?

Started by Railnut87, July 23, 2009, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railnut87

Good afternoon all, I'm looking into getting a pair of the Delaware and Hudson's Sharks and I was just curious as to how they are. Are they good running and how well are the details on them? They seem like nice models and would fit in nicely with my D&H collection! I don't know of any other manufactures that produce them other than I think it was Model Power? years ago! Thank you,
Michael A. Burke

pdlethbridge

I haven't seen a bad running new diesel from bachmann. As a side note, there are only 2 remaining rf-16 sharks, ex D&H. Escanaba and Lake Superior RR has them hidden away. They have not been seen for 20+ years

Santa Fe buff

Well, I think BLI is making RF-16s, but Bachmann's are more affordable.

Ryan's (9911A E5) Delaware and Hudson RF-16 Shark is a great runner on both DC and DCC. It has the standard Decoder features that let you turn the light on or off, and dim it.

It's a great buy, and isn't badly detailed, very nice models! Tyco used to make them a long time ago, heck Ryan has an old Tyco one, fitted for BN. It, however, doesn't run.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Frisco

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on July 23, 2009, 02:13:07 PM
Well, I think BLI is making RF-16s, but Bachmann's are more affordable.
They're still on the announcement list, but I have the feeling the Bachmann ones comming out sealed the fate of those ever being made.

Thommo

I have PRR Shark made by Rocofrom Austria for E-R Models, I don't know If they had D&H one.

Engine is great runner, but not much details on it.

jward

if i am not mistaken, bachmann bought e-r models several years ago. the bachmann one should be the same.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

adari

BLI canceled there sharks.  :(. I was loking forward to them.

Railnut87

Thanks to all for their input. A little added detail here and there won't hurt. I do have a few Bachmann/Spectrum engines and they do run very well. Little grease and oil now and then keeps them in good running condition :)
Michael A. Burke

Chris350

Quote from: adari on July 23, 2009, 10:15:53 PM
BLI canceled there sharks.  :(. I was loking forward to them.

Or maybe not... The BLI board has indications that they may still be run.  No time frame given. 

Nigel

A little history on HO scale "Sharks"

In the late '40's Mantua introduced die-cast A and B units, each available as a kit or rtr, dummy, single power truck or dual power trucks.  They are HEAVY.

Mantua beget Tyco as a sort of low cost line, in the '70's Tyco introduced a plastic bodies Shark, A unit only.  About the same time, Model Power imported a Shark (A and B) from Roco is Austria.  The Roco units are fine runners with a single huge flywheel, but they're growlers.  IMHO the Tyco shell is nicer than the Roco. 

Later, E-R models imported some of the Roco produced models.

As noted, the Bachmann model traces its lineage to the Roco model.

I have the parts to put together an A-B-B-A set of Mantua die cast shells on Hobbytown of Boston drives - we're talking about 10lbs with all wheels driven via low speed gearing.  Eventually when things get sorted out, I'll be able to start on my project. ;D

There is a Loksound ESU decoder with appropriate Baldwin sounds.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

ebtnut

My pair of Sharks run very well, but I'm a bit disappointed in their pulling power.  The pair togeter can only haul about 16 cars on the club RR.  Granted, the cars are all weighted to NMRA minimum, and there are some grades above 2%, but even so, I expected a bit more.  The other minor issue, common to most all diesel models, is that the coupling distance between the A and B unit is way to big.  I solved it with a shorter drawbar, since the units will virtually always run as a pair.

Woody Elmore

NIgel - if you lash up four Hobbytown powered units you'll pull the wallpaper of the wall! I had a Cary?Hobbytown FT with 16 wheels powered - it hauled anything that could be put behind it. I think we lashed up 85 freight cars (on a club layout.) It pulled them with no hesitation.

Hobbytowns ran nice and slow. Too bad they're gone forever.

I've seen Mantua metal sharks with both trucks powered. They expended half their power on moving the heavy Mantua shell.  And yes, their shell was nicer than Model Power.

As for original owners, the Pennsy, NYC and B&O were the only roads to buy sharks