Upgrading a DCC on board 2-8-0 Spectrum steamer to sound

Started by Pacific Northern, July 23, 2009, 05:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

What would be the "recommended"  way to upgrade a Spectrum 2-8-0 DCC equipped steamer to sound?  What would the estimated cost be for each?

1-Replace the DCC decoder with a new DCC and Sound unit?

2-Add a sound only decoder to the steamer?

Thanks
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

Different people will likely have different recommendations.  My choice would be a Tsunami decoder with both sound and motor control.  I recently installed one of these in an 0n30 locomotive and was very pleased at the great low speed performance that the Back EMF control gave.  I was surprised at how well the chuff can be synchronized, even without a sound cam.  I suspect this is somehow tied in with the BEMF speed control so that changes in speed with changes in load or grade do not affect the sync.  So far, I have not had a stationary locomotive chuffing away nor a ghost train gliding silently down the rails because the chuff hasn't kicked in yet.  I expected the Tsunami sound to be great, and was not disappointed. 

A cheaper solution would be a Digitrax DZ125 motion decoder plus a Sound Bug.  They are both small, and I suspect you could fit both of them up under the coal load, leaving lots of room in the tender for twin speakers.  The DZ125 decoder includes BEMF control which may eliminate the need for a sound cam for the Sound Bug, but that is just a guess at this point.

Jiim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

buckeyebilly

I have a 2-8-0 with neither a  DCC or sound decoder installed, just an 8 pin circuit board with the jumper installed from the factory. I run on plain old DC power and would like to add a sound only decoder that would work on both DC & DCC. Some of my friends have DCC.  My Bachmann item no. is 11420 (NYC). Can anyone recommend a dual decoder? Thanks

Jim Banner

The Soundtraxx Tsunmai makes dual mode sound and motion decoder that will work both on dc and DCC. 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

I checked around and for about the cost of a sound decoder, speaker and shipping charges I lucked into buying a couple of the new sound and dcc equipped Bachmann spectrum engines.

It certainly was not by intention to add to my steam roster but at that price I could not pass it by. Besides, you can never have too many of the 4-6-0's.
Pacific Northern