how to wire ez decoder to non dcc 2-8-0 circuit board

Started by jsharger, July 27, 2009, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsharger

I purchased an ez decoder without the plug so I could hard wire it to the circuit board of a spectrum 2-8-0 that does not have a plug.  The directions are only for a circuit board with a plug.  How do I wire the decoder to the older non dcc circuit board?  I thought there might be a diagram showing where to solder the wires. 
Anyone know how, or where there is such a diagram?
Thanks jsharger

Jim Banner

I am wracking my brain trying to remember a Spectrum 2-8-0 with a circuit board with no socket for plugging in a decoder.  Here is a photo of the circuit board in the tender of a second release Spectrum 2-8-0 and as I remember it, the first release had an almost identical looking board with the socket just about in the middle of it too.

Is it possible you have a Bachmann Plus 2-8-0?  Or a circuit board that someone has removed the socket from?  A photo would really help.

Jim

P.S.  The photo is from this article: (click on the link below)

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

J

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

I am sure that the first run was plug and go.  It would have a dummy plug.

jsharger

Thanks for the information.  I am new to dcc and did not realize there was a dummy plug with a socket underneath.  I could have ordered the easy install decoder.  I will use the idea from the article to use the dummy plug.  I have a couple of extras as I followed the directions from a Model Railroader article on modifying the 2-8-0 for Central Vermont, and the two that I clipped and glued the reversing mechanism as instructed went out of quarter within a couple of hours of operation.