Bachmann Online Forum

Discussion Boards => Large => Topic started by: cvcanada on October 02, 2026, 01:32:45 PM

Title: Height mismatch with knuckle couplers
Post by: cvcanada on October 02, 2026, 01:32:45 PM
IMG_0016.png

I have two new Bachmann EMD GP40 large scale modern diesel locomotives 1:29 scale (item number 91903) that I want to pull a few cars with each. The first car is a Bachmann Big Haulers Jackson Sharp coach (item number 92711). The stock knuckle couplers on each are at different heights and keep uncoupling.

I thought to convert to hook & loop couplers which have always been more reliable for me (and I don't care that they don't look as prototypical. Reliable is more important to me.) But I can't get them to fit on the GP40. Is hook & loop possible on the GP40?

Alternatively, should I stay with knuckles and adjust the height somehow? It's about a half inch mismatch. Styrene shims to angle the trailing coupler up to match the GP40?

Thanks,
Curt
Title: Re: Height mismatch with knuckle couplers
Post by: Loco Bill Canelos on October 03, 2026, 08:15:26 AM
Hi Kurt, So the main problem is you are using a 1:29 locomotive with a body mount coupler to pull a 1:22.5 scale passenger car with a truck mounted coupler.  Now basically this is not what they were produced to do.  Having said that You could convert the passenger car coupler to a body mount coupler or you could use a Kadee offset coupler on the passenger car truck mount to gain height.  If you do this with one end of one car creating a conversion car you can use it to pull the rest of your 1:22.5 equipment without changing the rest of them. Leaving the locomotive as is will also allow it to pull the 1:29th scale cars that were designed to be used with it should you wish to get some.

Hope this helps,   Loco Bill