News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Era

Started by Railnut87, July 31, 2009, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railnut87

Board,

First off I hope I'm posting this in the right place?

Well I recently started to get into the Steam Era. I recently purchased some HO scale locomotives from International Hobby Corp. and Spectrum. I was wondering if there are any good online resources that explain the different types of steam locomotives, history etc. I'm looking for something that might have product reviews. Also, looking for pictures of different angles and close ups on the steamers for modeling purposes. I have surfed through some of the messages on these boards and found some helpful things but looking further. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you,
Michael A. Burke

RAM

Just do a google search.  like 0-8-0 steam locomotive.  or prr k4 4-6-2.  What ever type locomotive you have.

pdlethbridge

Rashputin

I think these two are very good starting points.  The first is specifically about locomotives and the second is freight cars which are significantly different in the era of steam than they are now.  As I recall, they both have links to other sites, and beyond these basics and the link already provided above, most of what you'll want will be more specific and is best found with search engines.  One site of note that is often overlooked is the Google Books site which has a wonderful variety of complete books available for download and/or on line viewing.  Searching there for railroad, railroads, steam locomotives, etc., etc., can provide you with a great deal of older material specific to the locomotives and the era of steam railroading.  You can mine that site for several days and find everything from ICC rulings from the steam era to old textbooks from that era regarding right of way construction or the design of railroad yards.

http://www.railarchive.net/rlsteam/index.html

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/

http://books.google.com/books

Regards

Railnut87

Looks like I'm off to a good start now with the information provided. It was much appreciated, thank you!
Michael A. Burke

ebtnut

Keep an eye out for the Model Railroader Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, Steam Locomotives.  It has plans (all in HO) and lots of photos of all types of steam engines, from early 4-4-0's to the latest 4-8-4's.  Also includes data on applicances such as air brake systems, feedwater heaters, etc.  It was published originally back in the 1960's as a hardback, but was reissued in soft cover.  Also, R.L Hundman has also publshed a similar steam locomotive cyclopedia. 

Frisco

www.steamlocomotive.info
Is a favorite of mine, it only deals with surviving steam locomotives, but you can still get lots of ideas from it.

Santa Fe buff

For prototype pictures, I love this website:

www.rrpicturearchives.net

Also, www.railpictures.net is a great place, you can also enjoy the stunning arts of photography there.

Googling is another great tool. I found that I could find prototype pictures for my project only by Googling, and looking around on www.rrpicturearchives.net.

The steam era, eh? Great place, and time. You can do steam era, but if you wish, do Norfolk and Western. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's nice for someone who might be frustrated with choosing there set date and era. They ran steam locomotives, even when the others were using 1st Generation diesel locomotives for about everything, I would recommend the ATSF to a die-hard diesel fan, though. One of the first to modernize, and the biggest purchaser of the EMD FT. I personally wanted to do the 1970s... Great time for railroads. Some small steam, early diesel, industrial look and theme. On the contrary, I'm planing the Eastern Coast (Namely in the vicinity of Pennsylvania) for my layout. About early 1950s-late 1940s. Since it's such a small layout (4'x8') I don't think trying to cram in a real town and everything will do much good. I'll just take out prototype information, feed it into my mind, and pop out with a realistic and believable design for my C&O projected layout. (With N&W/Pennsy RR interchange, of course.)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

Santa Fe buff

pdlethbridge,
Do you want me to die of heart attack?! :D I love those, your certain know how to get me to beg, but I won't take that treat, maybe just one. I really love those S1s, very unique. The inside perspective of one of their locomotive shops makes me hyper. Aw, I just too my meds too. ;D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

the nice thing is there are hundreds more where they came from. :o

Santa Fe buff

Don't remind me! :D

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

pdlethbridge

I'm reminding you! I'm reminding you! I'm reminding you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Santa Fe buff

Ahhhhh! *BOOM!* Okay, I knocked some sense into myself. I think that even if someone is doing the modern times, that they can do an excursion.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

If you enjoy running trains with others, you may be able to have "steam nights" from time to time.  Mostly this means changing locomotives and rolling stock but that is usually easy if your friends being their own.  I mean you don't have to own a complete set of alternate trains - just one if others can each bring one too.

If you are a real perfectionist, you can even change buildings.  But chances are you will get so involved in running the trains that the ages of the buildings will not make a whole lot of difference.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.