News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help for a sorta NEWBY - CLIMAX

Started by bill Bagley, July 01, 2009, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill Bagley

Recently visited, G-Smokey Mt. Nat. Park, in our wanderings, we found a CLIMAX w/logging cars & a steam powered logging crane back in the woods.
Actually they have a pretty nice paved path to it.
I fell in love with this little engine, [NPS brought it down from Michigan]
In any case took pix to my local purveyor of G gage.
He said, I have one of those from Bachmann I will cut you a deal on it.
My question as it is apparently out of production , any problems, or just the rest of the world did not like CLIMAX's.
I WILL TRY TO FIND MY WAY BACK TO  "Y-ALL" ANY BODY HAVE ANY THING TO SAY GOOD OR BAD ABOUT THE CLIMAX EXCEPT the springs in the trucks are shiny.
Big time good/bad        billbag @gmail.com    Thanks Bill

az2rail

No problems. Bachmann made them for several years, and then retired the model. Perhaps they will make it again. They are still available at shows and ebay from time to time.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

JerryB

All Bachmann, and most other manufacturer's large scale equipment is built offshore in batches or 'runs.' That means even the most popular equipment goes in and out of production. As Bruce wrote, the Climax has been out of production for several years now. Same with earlier versions of the Shays, the Heisler, various versions of the 4-4-0s, 2-6-0s, and the 2-8-0 Connies, etc.

The Climax is a really good engine, and it seems that there are always folks looking for one or asking that it be re-run. I would suggest you grab it while the grabbing is good!

Jerry (Happy owner of a Bachmann Climax)
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

tac

I bought mine about five years ago from a guy who thought it was just too ugly to be real.  It came with six cars too - none of which, like the loco, had ever been out of the original packaging.

I love it to bits - it is, without doubt, one of the best large-scale replicas I have ever seen.

Buy it and laff.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Chuck N

I've had one since shortly after they came out.  I really like it, and I haven't had any problems.  Be sure to lubricate as per the instructions.  It is a different kind of steamer, but if you like mining or logging (ie. backwoods railroads) it is a winner.  I have four Accucraft skeleton cars with logs that I use behind it.

The pistons go like mad, and the engine just crawls around the track.

Chuck

glennk28

Well--this is about a month later--but today, while browsing Bachmann listings on eBay--I saw at least 3 Climaxes listed--all in the $200 range--so they are out there--gj

calenelson