News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound System Reed Switches

Started by David, August 01, 2009, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Is there a standard or pseudo-standard for the mounting location of the magnetic reed switches used to trigger the bell and whistle functions for sound systems? That is, does the bell switch go on the fireman's side or the engineer's? The whistle switch would go on the opposite side.
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Barry BBT

David,

I don't think there is a universal convention, but I install the whistle reed switch on the Engineer's side and the bell ofn the Fireman's side.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

jebouck

And if you turn your train around and run the other direction?   ;D :D

It matters not which side those things go on.

Joe Satnik

Would it work to put the magnets and reed switches at different distances from the center-line of the track? 

For example, whistle 1.5" from CL on engineer's side,  bell 1.75" from CL on fireman's side.

Joe     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Barry BBT

First,

If you want the bells to start as you approach a train station and the magnet is on the left and the bell starts ringing.  When returning on the same track the magnet is on the right of the loco and the whistle blows as the train runs through.  I does matter if you want the proper events to occur.

I suppose one could imagine three tracks, two near the rails and one down the center.  I think the reed switches I use (Phoenix) are too sensitive to be able to be discreet in four tracks (magnet tracks).

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.