News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jackson Sharp excursion cars

Started by lou63, August 02, 2009, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou63

does anyone know if there are any jackson sharp open sided excursion cars in real life that have been preserved by a museum or see service on a tourist railroad? bachmann's jackson sharp open sided excursion cars look like dead ringers for the open sided excursion cars used by Cedar Point's 3 foot gauge Cedar Point & Lake Erie Railroad. I would like to get 4 or 5 of bachman's open side excursion cars for my HO scale Leelanau County Railway and was just curious if these kind of excursion cars see any excursion service on standard gauge railroads

Tylerf

Disney world runs very similar if not the same standard gauge cars.

buzz

Hi lou63
I would be very surprised if coaches like that would be allowed under modern health and safety laws
I would also be equally surprised if there was not a standard gauge version of them that ran on a railway somewhere
Its just a case of coming across the right information.
I can see no reason why this coach could not form part of a picnic or other special on your railway.
I would suggest the train should be steam hauled and have a couple of ordinary closed in coaches of the same style.
Although not as obvious as they may have been in the past excursion trains still run to this day on some main line railways.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Flashwave

The other problem with them, is that you can't get into another car from one. and in most excursions, one wants assengers o walk into the cncession car and buy stuff.

Oh, and falling out the side is a problem too.

Loggging trains might be able to make use of them as tourist excursions off season.

CNE Runner

My wife is a retired 'legal beagle' and I decided to run the legalities of operating a car, like the Jackson Sharp version, in today's world. After showing her a picture, she said; "No way...no how." The major problem? The lack of passenger restraints on the car sides. She went on to say that she would be very surprised if anything like these cars were in operation anywhere within the U.S. Additionally, she mentioned that she doubted any insurance carrier would insure (liability) an operator of said cars. Sad to think what the world has come to isn't it?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

simkon

Just a side note- I saw 2 of these cars at my local Hobbytown USA- its the first time I've seen 'em for sale at a store

Tylerf

What you guys are saying( while being VERY true) is suprising considering Disneyland does truely run open sided cars very similar to the Jackson sharp cars. So no they do not have any restraint system at all. Talk about faith your guest won't be stupid.

CNE Runner

Tylerf - there was a woman who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's Corp. for mucho dinero (she apparently didn't know that hot coffee is just that...HOT). I am saying I have faith that anyone can experience temporary stupidity. It is a tenet of our culture that we are not responsible for our actions.

On the otherhand, I think the Jackson Sharp cars are really neat - and would definitely run one on my layout...after all it is my world. I didn't mean to start a discussion on the legality or appropriateness of these conveyances in our modern world. In light of the most recent accident, at Disney World (or Land...I forgot which), I would imagine the 'powers to be' will be looking at their liability very closely.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Tylerf

Yeah it's definetly amusing to read the obvious "warning this is hot" on the side of your coffee cup. Shows how much times have changed considering on my layout people can still ride in the back of pickup trucks. I agree though, these are very neat cars and I've been staring at them for ever even though they have no place on my layout.

Rickenbacker 325

We were at disney world and a baby in a stroller fell out of the car and they were sitting right next to us. The mom of the baby was cry and screaming as loud as she could.  They had to stop all the trains. :( :( :(

kazooracer

Quote from: CNE Runner on August 05, 2009, 04:42:41 PM
My wife is a retired 'legal beagle' and I decided to run the legalities of operating a car, like the Jackson Sharp version, in today's world. After showing her a picture, she said; "No way...no how." The major problem? The lack of passenger restraints on the car sides. She went on to say that she would be very surprised if anything like these cars were in operation anywhere within the U.S. Additionally, she mentioned that she doubted any insurance carrier would insure (liability) an operator of said cars. Sad to think what the world has come to isn't it?

Greenfield Village in Dearborn uses cars almost identical to these.

Also, the narrow gauge group in Hesston, IN has some:

And Cedar Point uses similar cars: