upgrading Bachmann DCC locomotives

Started by tri-way, August 06, 2009, 06:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tri-way

In the Bachmann train set, stock # 00501, the description states it is DCC and controls light, speed and direction. Is it possible to add sound or any other DCC controlled functions? Also, if it is possible how expensive and involved would it be?

I am new to model railroading and I am trying to learn as much as possible before buying my first set. At present I plan to go with DCC at the very beginning. I also intend start fairly small and grow my railroad using the rockies as the setting.

simkon

I think that's the Digital Commander with 2 ATSF DCC-equipped diesels. I have the set and am familiar with it. Here's my advice:
Although those 2 locos have DCC-on board, they do not have an 8 or 9 pin NMRA plug, so it would not be easy as cake to add sound and other features, because of this. These locos have DCC in the board, so you would need to ask an experienced friend to do it for you, ask someone at a local club, read up on some books, or pay someone at the LHS to do it for you, but it can be done. If you want sound and DCC, I suggest you buy a loco with an 8 or 9 pin NMRA plug to get started, that way all you have to do is pop in the decoder and speaker. I seen sound decoders sell for as cheap as $50 on the internet/ebay, but at a actual business they start at about $80 and up. Also for the future, if you do install sound, consider getting a DCC system with more than 10 function buttons and one that can program CVs (which allows you to choose the sound effects you want, how loud they are, how your locos accelerate/momentum, advanced lighting effects (ie ditch lights), advanced consiting, etc...)
I suggest if you want to add sound, and you want SF locos try these 8-pin plug equipped models:
Product Codes: 80041 (GE-44 tonner), 82719 (SD-45), 83506 (DASH-8-40CW), 83605 (2-8-0 Consolidation w/ or w/o sound), 50801 (4-8-4 Northern), 51203 (2-10-4), and 84302 (2-10-0 Decapod w/ or w/o sound&DCC)
All of these listed come with an 8-pin plug, and can have sound installed easily, any other ones (SF) would be more difficult and not a good idea for a beginner.

CNE Runner

Simkon - I read your post with interest and have a further question for you. In your list of Bachmann locomotives you listed the GE 44-tonner as having the NMRA 8 or 9-pin plug. Does the newly released GE 45-tonner have this plug? I ask this because, according the the review in the August 2009 issue of MR, it is mentioned that the fuel tank is pre-drilled for a 1/2" speaker as well has having a recess for same. The article mentions nothing about an NMRA pin. Does this model have the pin?

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

simkon

I am pretty sure that the 45-tonner has an 8 pin plug. I know that all the other newer release Spectrum line HO models are equipped with an 8 pin plug. So it would make sense if this one does too, plus they even have a nice little spot if you want to add sound, but it already has DCC. I think I remember reading somewhere that it has it, so I'm 99% certain. I can also tell you that the 70-tonner doesn't though, at least the one I have.

Jim Banner

There are numerous upgrade paths you can take.  One is to add a sound only decoder and retain your original motor and lights decoder.  This can be done for around $50.  A bit more expensive would be a new motor decoder such as a Digitrax DZ125 and a Digitrax "sound bug" sound decoder.  This would be about $65.  The advantage would be less motor noise from the locomotive, and back emf motor control for the best possible low speed control of your locomotive.  Separate sound and motor decoders allow you to install the motor decoder in the locomotive and the sound decoder in the tender, minimizing the number of wires between locomotive and tender and maximizing the room available for the speaker and its enclosure.  A third possibility is to install a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder that combines motor control and sound on one board.  These decoders will run you about $100 but will give you the same quiet, precise motor control as the Digitrax motor decoder and the same superb sound Bachmann uses in their sound on board locomotives.

As you learn more about DCC, you will find that there are other decoders and upgrade paths available to you.  You will also discover that quality and price tend to go hand in hand.  Thirdly, you will find that decoder installations, particularly if they involve sound, can be expensive.  But if you can solder (or can learn to solder) and have someone to guide you through your first few installations, you will find that installing decoders yourself is not impossible but does require planning and patience.  Best of all, once you can do your own installations, the money you save can go toward buying more decoders or better decoders, or even both.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tri-way

Guys,
I have read your posts and greatly appreciate your willingness to help a beginner.
I will impose on you further when I have done more research.

Thanks

Jim Banner

You're welcome.  When you are ready, ask lots of questions and we will do our best to answer them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Ah...Jim, therein lies the rub: ...someone to guide you through the first couple of installations. Here, in Northeastern Alabama, we are a little light on model railroaders - let alone anyone willing (or competent) to teach such a valuable skill to a fellow modeler.

After following your posts, as well as Yampa Bob's, I can see that decoder installation isn't all that mysterious. Unfortunately one beginner mistake can wipe out a $100 bill. On the otherhand, I can't see buying a Bachmann GE 44-Tonner (MSRP $125); only to 'sink' another $100+ into it. I wish a LHS would run (for a fee) classes on decoder and sound installation...education is the engine that drives improvement.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

pdlethbridge

Most DCC ready locos just need the right decoder for a drop in installation. For instance, if you wanted a better decoder in a Bachmann DCC equipped diesel NCE makes a replacement.
http://www.ncedcc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
They have a list of engines and the decoders for them available, so you have the right decoder for a specific loco.
TCS also has installation pictures for their decoders. Great place to visit for a first timer.
A side note. The DCC ready Bachmann 44 tonner is not plug and play, it has to be soldered in. See the TCS site for instructions and pictures for the installation. I followed their instructions for the installation in a Bachmann 0-6-0T and it runs beautifully.

simkon

Thanks for clearing it up, typically when Bachmann says "DCC Ready," it indicates it has an 8-pin plug, but I guess that is not the case for the 44-tonner, but the motor is isolated though. Sorry for the confusion folks, hope I didn't mislead too many people.

pdlethbridge

Its a straight plug, not 2 rows of 4

simkon

but still an 8 pin right, not a 9 pin like they have in athearns

simkon

Oh yeah, that's not bad at all, if you can use a soldering iron you can install a decoder in that loco -almost as good as an 8 pin plug. I still don't understand how come they didn't put an 8 pin plug... who knows?

renniks

A little correction.
Some locos are fitted with SOCKETS.
Some decoders are fitted with PLUGS.
You can't plug a plug into a plug.

Eric UK