News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Planning Question

Started by barrowsr, April 10, 2007, 05:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrowsr

Hello,

I'm moving to a new layout next month and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good track planning book?  I've heard the John Armstrong book is good - are there others?  It will take me about a year to finish the basement and I'd like to have some idea for the general track plan by the time I'm ready for benchwork.

I plan to model two eras, 1952 and 1914 in separate rooms that will share a common main line.  I have too much invested in 1950's rolling stock and motive power to backdate it all to 1914, plus I want to model a 1952 national guard airfield.  I love the railway guns and coastal artillery from 1914, ergo the earlier era.  No need for multiple levels - I have about 1500 square feet to play with.

At some point in the distant future I'd like to operate using one or both eras and am looking for recommendations for planning resources.
Thanks,

Robin

ebtbob

Good Afternoon,

Although he tends to lean toward smaller railroads,   anything from Iian Rice will give you good ideas to incorporate into you new railroad.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

SteamGene

Robin,
I think there were still some National Guard coast artillery units as late as 1952 if you want to keep it all one era.  In fact, the CA was active in coastal defense up to the mid-war years before they started converting to AA and 155 and 8" guns. 
Fort Monroe had both fixed coast artillery batteries and railroad guns.  It didn't have any barbettes, though I think one of it's satellites might have. 
As for plans, Atlas has a nice plan book, but none that large.  When you get to the size you mention you are pretty much on your own.  You might want to read Sheldon's comments on layout developement as a good starting point. 
I think the most important things are:
avoid duckunders if at all possible
keep grades mild
use the widest curves you can handle
don't have any track more than three feet from the edge of the layout

for the CA railroad gun tracks, make sure they curve, but end perpendicular to the water.

Gene 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

barrowsr

Thanks for the suggestions folks.  This board has been an excellent source of information.

Regards,

Robin