How to properly clean steel Big Haulers track?

Started by Flare, November 09, 2020, 01:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I recently got a GREAT deal on a used lot of steel Bachmann G-gauge track, but the rails could use a good cleaning and some need rust removal.

I've heard that a Scotch-Brite pad can be used to remove general build-up without scratching the rails, but is that only for the "Non-Scratch" version of the pads or will a regular pad work just fine?  Alternatively, what would you advise?

I assume water or anything containing it is NOT the proper solvent to remove the grime on the sections that were used outdoors;  What do you guys use that doesn't risk rust, and what do you use to remove existing rust?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, are you going to use the track outdoors?  If so what part of the country?

If so I really don't recommend it at all.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Flare

Hello.  I have no plans to use this stuff outdoors.

I'm not a huge fan of steel track myself, as it tarnishes quicker than other metals; but the price was right.

Greg Elmassian

When I looked closely at the track I had (before it got thrown away), it appears to have a tin plating on the steel.

Any abrasion should remove that plating and make it rust even more quickly.

I cannot recommend this track outdoors, but if a gun was held to my head, and I was using powered rails, then a regular spraying with an anti corrosion spray, like the ones you get in a marine supply store, or the big box stores.

Wipe excess with a cloth, but get the cloth saturated so it leaves a film. That should prolong the rails. Be sure to spray pretty well, because it will rust everywhere, not just the rail tops.

I would not use anything abrasive. Using an anti corrosion spray will usually help loosen surface rust and you can wipe that away.

CRC makes good stuff, as well as the liquid wrench people (but do not use the product for loosening bolts)

Greg

Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, Flare,

Glad you will be using it indoors.  Like you I have to find deals that are right, as I am on a very tight budget especially in recent years and as prices go up and up!

20 years ago I used WD-40, let it soak, sometimes using tissues which I laid on the rails soaked with it.  Unfortunately the heavily rusted parts in many cases had gone below the plated part leaving black sections on the rails.  I was still able to use a lot of it.  I never did use anything else but wd-40.  I did use one of those gray erasers to get at some tough spots, and I seem to recall it working as long as the rust was not too deep. Like Greg I got rid of all of it, as I went to outside railroading.  I am back indoors in the basement, but using all my outdoor track.

Have fun with your steel track!!

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!