Comparing scale and detail - 20.3 to 22.5 and Annie to Spectrum

Started by bnsonger47, August 10, 2009, 08:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zubi

Quote from: Kevin Strong on August 12, 2009, 01:22:38 PM
Quote...I'd be interested to know what camera you use to take the photos and if any special lens to get the depth of field?

Canon Rebel XT with a Sigma 18 - 200mm lens. I generally stop down to around f22 on the lens, as that seems to be the lens's "sweet spot" in terms of decent depth of field while still maintaining sharpness. Much smaller on the iris, and the image starts to get soft. Each lens will be different in that regard. The Sigma 18 - 200 is not a high-end lens, but it gets the job done. For posting on the web or printing at half page, it's more than adequate.

I think the first shot was taken with my old Minolta DiMage point-and-shoot. I've still got it; it does macro work much better than the Sigma lens lets me. Since the camera's smaller, I can put the lens almost literally in the door of a passenger car. On the point-and-shoots, just set the iris to the smallest size (largest number) possible and go from there.

Later,

K

K, thanks for the info. Your photos are always great and it is generally difficult to get a good range of the depth of field with larger sensor cameras. Some more recent 'art' Sigma is considered to be of pretty high range. BTW the link to your website on the photo does not work, you might want to fix this. The blog link does work fine. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Stolz,

You will find them in the Forum Code of Conduct in red at the top left of the page.  Hit "Click here" and you will have them!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rallinen

As far as scale in relationship to the 4-6-0. I run both and there is not a problem. One has to kept in mind at the time the
4-6-0 was actually built in a number of physical sizes were built,  depending on the railroads that ordered them.    So 20.3 and 22.5 isn't a problem.  Having said that rolling stock is another issue. To me it seems Bachmann can't get scale right there. So for now I relay more on how the rolling stock looks to compare to locomotive. Flat cars, open gondolas seem to do alright. I have problems with box, passenger and caboose. To me the Bachmann caboose looks really bad, toy like.  I have been running the older Delton cars with some success to scale/looks.  Exploring scratch building the rolling stock. One big problem is size of wheels. The Bachmann are either to small (24.5) or to large (31.0). they need something about 26/27mm.

But I do like my Bachmann locomotives

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!