News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 4-6-0

Started by Tim, August 10, 2009, 09:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Guys

Here are my first impressions on the new 4-6-0.

It's "BIG" when I first placed it next to my other loco's, it appeared to overwhelm them.

It isn't actually that large when you take into account the driver size compared to the 2-8-0
and the 2-6-0.

Size: It is 13 3/4" over the coupler faces, the 2-8-0 is 12 3/4" most of the difference is the tender length.
         The wheelbase is 11 5/8" just a little over 46ft in 0 scale it will fit on a 50ft turntable.
         The height is 3 1/4" from the rail head with the capped stack,  note the whistle is just a bit taller.
         The width measured at the rear of the tender is 2 1/8" this is wider than any of the other loco's.
         The engine weight is over 2lb w/o the tender.

Running:  It runs very smoothly and quietly no gear whine and I didn't see any surging when going
                downgrade.  It was pulling five coaches.
                None of my curves are over 20"r and I have one that is a tight 18"r with gaps in the rails
                because it leads onto a lift out, I had no problems with the pilot truck at any time.

The loco is equipped with Bachmann's new decoder,  it is smaller than the previous decoders and
seems to work much better.

The pilot truck link needs to be adjusted for better up and down movement.  I found that it would occasionally derail at the crest of one of my grades because the truck could not follow the change in grade.

Overall one heck of a loco,  its a keeper.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA