News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

For Wade Colyer

Started by jsmvmd, September 21, 2009, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Dear Wade,

A friend said he found some 160 lb rail in the Rose Yard, on s side line.  The stuff on the NS mainline at Coburn in Altoona is 141 lb.  Have you had a chance to look at the rail designations in Rose Yard ?  This friend of mine is not prone to exaggeration, so I believe it is there.  Any thoughts on this, or does it even matter ?   :)

Best Wishes,

Jack

Wade Colyer

Hi Jack:

They use heavy rail on 1 and 2 yard ( on the yard office side of the yard ) and 1, 2 and 3 relay ( next to 1 and 2 main ) due to the weight of the trains recrewed there. A 130 car coal train will weigh between 16,000 and 18,000 tons. If it was on another track, they just used what they had handy. They use transition joint bars to match up the different heights of rail.

I just turned 64 ( yes, I hope she still loves me, HA HA ) and my knees are bad so I'm going through the retirement process now. I still love the job but the new Federal laws have things all messed up, so I guess I'm restricted to the basement now.

Speaking of the basement, yes, the invite still stands. We're remodeling right now so stuff is stored everywhere including the train room. I let you know when it's cleared up.

Wade

jsmvmd

Dear Wade,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Am planning to see your stuff.  My little guys that were "train men" are now "plane men !"  Guess what !  I have all this train stuff that only I play with.  So, with downsizing from the divorce, I have lost my yard to make a garden RR.  There goes the Connie.  More likely I will get a side tank Porter and build a battery car for R/C.  Will discuss it with you in the future.

Hope all is well with you other joints !   ;D

Years ago, I used to work in the orthopedic industry.  There was a nice little old lady who had just about every joint replaced at least once.  I asked her:  "What's a joint like that doing in a girl like you ?"  She laughed, but the Md's shrugged.  Go figure !

Best Wishes,

Jack

Loco Bill

Hi Wade,

Sorry to hear the joints are getting so bad.  Hopefully you will be able to get a disability retirement.  Retirement isn't so bad,  but now you will have no excuses for not getting things done on the layout! 

Shame that bad joints will keep you from doing the job you love!!

In any case Congratulations on your comming retirement.   You are always welcome at my place, so stop by anytime. 

Regards,

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products