LS Thomas-pix

Started by calenelson, August 10, 2009, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calenelson

found this over in the Thomas Board...
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9886.0.html

First official run for Large Scale Thomas
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »    

Large Scale Thomas had his first "official" run during the NMRA convention. Here are a couple of pics....

Jack Lynch
Communications Manager
Bachmann Industries, Inc.

;D Looking VERY NICE! ;D

cale

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

It looks very nicely proportioned to my eye. 

Has anyone with knowledge of the prototype put a ruler to it to determine the scale?

Then again, has anyone ever put a ruler to the model used for T.V. and film?

W. A. Guessing: 1/32 of the length, 1/29 of the wheel diameter, 1/29 of the boiler diameter, and 1/29 of the body width, body height and overall height.

It is, by definition, 1/32 of the wheel/rail gauge, since the prototype is 4' 8-1/2" and the model runs on LS (45mm gauge) track.

I suppose we could worry about the scale and proportions of rolling stock it pulls, too.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

calenelson

Joe,

I'd bet it will be "compatible with large scale"...which will work just fine here in SC!  ;D

cale

calenelson

hey I got it...I wonder if we could get a shot of it with a Big Hauler Box Car or Ten-Wheeler?  That'd define it!

calenelson

Thanks Jack, that looks WONDERFUL!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Bigger than I had anticipated (not a bad thing!!!)

Wow, I may wind up more excited at Christmas than the kids!

Any word on control

Quote from: Bucksco on August 12, 2009, 03:13:41 PM

Bucksco

Supply your own controls - Thomas will be analog straight out of the box.

Jon D. Miller

The size of Thomas looks good next to the Big Hauler.  It should make a great addition to any locomotive fleet and make a lot of kids, of all ages, happy. ;D

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

R. J. Raleigh

I can't wait to double-head my K-27 with the new Thomas!

Rickenbacker 325

Does the light go on if you turn the power on?
He looks like he has his season 12 CGI face

calenelson

Thanks Jack ("analog")...and Thanks Bachmann for keeping it simple!

James, I agree, it does favor the latest incarnation of the Cheeky little engine!

cale

Hagen

That Thomas is waaaaaaay too big  to be of much use to me  :(
I will have to get one anyway, but I had hoped for a smaller block than the Annie for bashes.
We'll see how Percy turns out.

Also, will the spoked wheels be available as a seperate item?

Alex Butner

I found out that Thomas is based on a real locomotive that was in Britain. It was an E2 Extended Tank 0-6-0T, which none of them survive. I like the Large Scale Thomas, but I don't want one.

Alex Butner

Thomas looks accurate! They captured the size of a British train perfectly. Keep in mind that British trains are standard gauge but are smaller and shorter than American trains. Great Job Bachmann!

NarrowMinded

heres a link to a photo that must have been thomas' Granpa, any body know how power was aplied to the wheels on these loco's? I see no pistons
http://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/bzbsp/image1.jpg

NM