News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20 freight cars "Procedure"

Started by Curmudgeon, February 05, 2007, 12:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curmudgeon

Lock-Tite time!

We were alerted to a problem with screws on the new cars when we found a small machine screw in the bottom of the Styrofoam packaging on one of our review samples.

Inspection showed this to be a "sideframe" screw.
Technically, it is one of two that holds the upper spring perch to the truck bolster, but these also allow removal of the sideframe.

Inspection showed some of the review samples had VERY loose sideframe screws.
We removed the trucks, Lock-Tited with 222  LockTite ALL sideframe screws, and while doing this, discovered some of the review sample kingpin screws (which retain the trucks to the frame) were loose, some over 1/2 way out!

We Lock-Tited these also.

Heads-up, get them fixed before they disappear in the ballast on your railroad!

Approved by Bachmann.

TOC

Tom Lapointe

Thanks for another "heads-up" Dave! ;)  I just picked up 2 of the hoppers & 1 of the box cars at the Springfield (MA) show last week; I've operated them a little bit on the indoor railroad last week (winter FINALLY arrived here  :P - still not much snow, but COLD!).  Incidentally, an interesting discovery on them; while the box car looks like it'll require the same min. radius (48") as most of the AMS 1:20.3 cars, the hoppers WILL take R1 (24" radius) curves without ANY problems! :o ;) (& NO modifications!)

Tom

Curmudgeon

I know.
The difference is in length and what the wheels hit under the car.
Also, none of my hoppers had any screw issues.

bob kaplan

Thanks for the alert.
   i have purchased several of these cars and found one screw at the bottom of the packaging.   i was not able to find an "empty" whole for it.  Would it be possible to give the # of the screw from the exploded parts diagram that comes with the cars so i know exactly what to look for.  (sorry, for being a bit "thick")   Perhaps it was just dropped in my packaging?
  Thanks for your time.
bob

Curmudgeon

They're metric, and a very small head, Phillips.

Just wobble your sideframes, you'll feel loose ones.

Look under the truck, at or near the joint of the truck bolster to sideframe, and see the tips of the screws coming down from the top.
On the arch-bars, there are two per side, laid out the length of the car.
If you see an empty hole, that's where it goes.

David

Another fine example of Bachmann quality.
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Jon D. Miller

Here's the arch bar truck side frame screws.

This is the single screw that attaches the Vulcan side frame.

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

bob kaplan

.....very clearly explained.  even i can understand that!!
   Thanks!
bob

Art

Thank for the information as I have some on order. Being 1/2 blind (only fooling but age is getting in the way of my eyes) I may not have even seen that screw, but will not look real close.

Art

Steve Stockham

Yep, many thanks for the "heads up"!  :)

glennk28

Thanks for the warning!  will go out and fix mine. 

But--they won't necessarily drop into the ballast.  If you have a bridge over a murky fishpond, that's where they will fall out!

jsmvmd

Thanks for the heads up! And the fine pix!  I am glad we have our good friends who can elucidate simple and complex fixes for these products, which are mechanical, and therefore subject to repairs, whether NIB or after I get my grubby hands on them!  To date I have been quite satisfied with all the Bachmann stuff I own.

Best, Jack