MR Bach man Just how did you do that??

Started by buzz, August 11, 2009, 04:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Hi Bach man
Had a quick look at the Sodor layout in the photo gallery.
How did you get the sand stone texture on the scenery and dinosaur bones in the quarry??.
Looking at the layout through adult eyes I have a few problems with it
But I really think the look on the children's faces is what its all about and makes it worth the big effort that went into it.
How big is the layout it doesn't look very big in the pictures or is this a visual trick played by the height of the layout??
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

the Bach-man

Dear John,
You're correct: the target audience is young kids, and they do love it. It's a 4' x 8' of primarily foam construction. The rocks are carved blocks of foam painted with  latex paint with sand mixed in. The dinosaur bones were found on my hobby shop's POP counter- they're a block of clay with a small skeleton inside.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

buzz

Hi Bach Man
Thanks for the information
To deal with one of those adult issues Sir Topem Hat is probably only about 4' tall not a 60' giant.
What is the propper channel to suggest that Bachmann make a set of scale
OO Thomas figures that includes a 4' high not including tophat height Sir Topem Hat and perhaps The thin controller as well in suitable static posses.
Plus enough other figures to make up a pack of six which seems to be the industry std pack.
The scale figures almost any one in HO or OO could use but the 60' tall one is really only usable by children and possably the large scale's
I for one would not mind Sir Topem Hat keeping a watchfull eye on my railway and as a scale figure, I don't think any one would notice but I would know he was there.
regards John

Jim Banner

buzz,
Until Bachmann or someone else comes out with the figure you want, how about making your own?  Best place to start would be with a gentleman in a suit.  You can easily add a top hat using a washer and a bit or tubing.  File around the top of his head with a jeweler's file or an emery board until the washer and tubing fit.  A drop of ACC will hold them in place.  Fill the top of the hat with body putty or epoxy, and when set, file and paint black.

Body putty (Squadron Green works well) is a great way of building up figures and Xacto knives and jeweler's files are a great way of trimming them down.  Best of all, no two figures are alike, unless you want them to be.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

buzz

Hi Jim
I had thought of trying to produce My own fat controller.
I have not got the sculpting skills for that.
The figure would be 14mm to 16mm tall not counting his top hat and would
virtually have to be sculpted from scratch
regards John