does anyone know how to take the shell of a bachmann gp40?

Started by KCS-221987, August 12, 2009, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCS-221987

same as subject    thank you       if you know please tell

indetail.

simkon

All you need to do is unscrew the weight at both ends of the locomotive. The screw are in a little hole in the weight on each side, there is no need to unscrew the couplers. Then just pull the shell off. Also, here is a diagram of a GP40: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H635X_IS005.pdf

KCS-221987

i look at it and what you post on my ? but i forgot to say that it is a GP 40 dcc on board. i try to take the shell off that want but i cant get it off.

mf5117

remove the diesel tank , pry it off easy .there should be 2 screws inset in the cast .where you removed the tank from . remove them , and the shell should come off . 

Santa Fe buff

Ah, I've sat down, and I'm ready to help. I also own a junk looking (Only paint and handrail damage), and good running Bachmann DCC On-Board EMD GP40. What to do is simple. As previously posted, pry off the fuel tank shell. It's a tedious task. It's a bit hard to get it off, but always try by using a fine, strong, flat-head screwdriver, or something appropriate for this task. After it comes off, you'll see a die-cast metal body, with two diagonal screws. Unscrew this screws, then the body should come free. HOWEVER, I highly recommend removing the couplers because when I was removing my body, that bit of coupler end sticking out the back was holding on the metal chassis.

If you wish to work further, post so. I'm posting a link to a scanned copy (Before the printer stopped working.) of the diagram: http://www.flickr.com/photos/santafebuff/3393580497/in/photostream/

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

mf5117

thanks buff I shold have been alittle more detailed

regards mark f

Santa Fe buff

It's fine. The reason I knew what to do in the first place was because of you post.

I just found a few problems I encountered, and I wanted to tell about them.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

abu0724

I bought a digital commander set with a GP40 inside. it makes some kind of groaning noise at low speed. the noise goes away (or covered by the track noise) when speed goes up. I tried to follow the instructions from this topic to open the shell and see what is wrong inside, but no luck with prying off the gas tank. I already slightly damaged the edges on the plastic shell and gas tank, and still the gas tank will not come off. Am I doing something wrong here? And, Bachmann, why not using screws?

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, sounds like a computer's moan! :D Once you get it up in speed, you only hear it when it goes by. I'm thinking on buying a silent decoder to replace out the old one. I just need to know some more specs.

I don't even know if I'm going to run it! I really don't like some of the detail, so I'm thinking on a shell conversion thing too. ;) I mean, you can't beat the smoothness and chassis and all, but I don't know about the shell!

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Loco722

Hello there.

With regards to the groaning noise mentioned by abu0724, the noise also comes from my GP40 which is standard DC.

Of course this does not bother me as it runs well :)!

Also, may I suggest if someone could show step by step pictures on how to remove the shell of the Bachmann GP40 as it will be easier to grasp if someone could.

I'd like to know if it is the same for the Bachmann B23-7 as I haven't ever removed the shell of of that loco since I got it.

Need to know this as it will be needed to perform maintenance (lubrication) of the locos.

Thanks in advance :),

Loco722.   

Santa Fe buff

I took my shell off thinking some of the noise may have been caused by the gears, but Bachmann super lubricated the engine, I won't be lubing the engine for a year or so!

As for instructional videos, Ryan has a workbench, a video camera, and a freshly cleared memory stick. Also, I have a photobucket, and YouTube account, and I'm meeting at Ryan's house this Friday. I'll go and do you your video!

It'll be on YouTube too!

Joshua

P.S. The sound is the decoder, it's even louder in DCC mode! :D
- Joshua Bauer

Loco722

Hello!

Thank You very much Joshua, truly appreciate it :)!

Looking forward to it!

Loco722.

renniks

I am not in HO nor have I seen this model, but having looked at the assembly drawing I am totally confused by the answers posted. On the drawing I can't see a 'fuel tank shell' nor can I see two screws coming up thru the chassis or the holes for them in the chassis castings and the PC board.
What I can see are dummy fuel tank sides as part of the shell and a tab midway along each side of the lower chassis casting. This suggests to my simple mind that the shell of the model in the drawing is held by the tab in slot method. Seems there may be two different versions of this model.

Eric UK

Santa Fe buff

Yes, I believe there are two versions. Also, I have the video done, I just need to wait for Ryan to put it on his computer and e-mail it to me.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

john Max

I can never understand why Bachmann never give instructions for taking the shells off their engines, but give a detailed exploded view. I have damaged several trying to figure out this.