4-6-0 Annie, older version. Worth keeping?

Started by Craig, August 12, 2009, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

I acquired a track powered large scale Bachmann 4-6-0, item #31497,  as part of a recent trade. The locomotive is sealed in a factory carton. I can see that the side rods and valve gear are all plastic, unlike those of the 4-6-0's already in my roster. How did/do these versions compare to the latest editions? The details are nice, but I know nothing of this particular mechanism; would you keep it? Please opine if you own one of these puppies, or if you have owned one in the past. Thank you.

Craig

Jon D. Miller

The 31497 you have is a White Pass engine #10.  It is a Bachmann Plus series.  I find it listed in the 1994 catalog.  Loco Bill will be able to give you the exact years this locomotive was offered.

Here's a link that will give you a complete run down on the Big Hauler locomotives offered by Bachmann.  Drive trains from generation 1 through 5 are covered.  As Bachmann upgraded the Big Hauler's drive train folks started referring to the locomotives by generation based on the various drive systems.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

The locomotive is worth keeping since it is new.  First thing will be to give it a good lubrication.  George's site, listed above, will cover the Plus series and provide tips that will help extend it service life. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Craig

Jon,

That's a great site. Thank you for your assistance.

Craig

jpipkin

I've had one for over 10 years and it still runs great.  Lubrication and basic maintenance is the key.

Jim

Jon D. Miller

Craig,
I should have mentioned that the Plus is a version 3 Big Hauler.  At George's site he makes mention of using a wire tie around the moter to hold if firmly in the motor mounts.  Follow his advice on that.  Also he mentions changing the ring that goes around the bearing end of the motor, that's where the motor shaft exists and the worm gear is attached.

If your Big Hauler has the older type ring, as George describes, I have the white ring that is recommended to be used.  If your engine has the older ring, contact me and I'll send you the ring that George recommends using.  This ring, when used in conjunction with the wire tie will help extend gear life.  You can contact me at jlsrails@aol.com with your mailing adress and I'll send on right out.

As a side note. I had an ET&WNC Plus version.  It was operated without any problems till the Version 5 ET&WNC Anniversary was introduced.  At thst time I sold the Plus version to a fellow club member.  That Plus version ET&WNC is still in operation, so they do hold up if given proper care.

JD

Craig

Thank you for the generous offer, JD. And again for the helpful information.

I take it that the plastic side rods never bothered you? I've never owned a loco that didn't have metal side rods so I'm mildly put off by this design. That bias isn't based on anything in particular; I know nothing of their durability.

Craig

Barry BBT

Craig,

I offer laser-cut stainless steel siderods for the Plus loco.  Comes complete with SS hardware.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill

CRaig,  I am away from my resources right now,  so detailed info on the loco will have to wait.  I will be back next monday and will provides years built Etc, if you really are interested.   The Bachmann Plus series was supposed to be an improvement to the chassis, but in my opinion was no real improvement.  As JD says much has been written about fixes, and if that kind of thing turns you on go for it.

As for my opinion on keeping it well.........

I personally got rid of my old versions of chassis 4-6-0's with plastic siderods.  Never liked the way they looked.   Sold them on Ebay getting from 50 to $75 for them used.   All my current 4-6-0 are Annies with the version 5 chassis and the metal detail parts and siderods.  My favorites are the annies with the Walshearts valve  gear.  They are solid and depedable, and I have converted them to battery power.

I was always messing with and tweaking the older version chassis 2 thru 4, motors & gears and decided enough was enough and so away the went!   I have never looked back and never regretted getting the Annies.

No matter how much you do to pretty up the older ones they are still the older ones!!!

Again this is just my personal opinion.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Danny Sheehan in Oz

Craig, I would not worry about the Plastic Rods, as even the so called Creme-de-Creme, LGB, used plastic rods, no problems ever.

Craig

Thanks to all for the responses.

Jim, I appreciate the tip.

Barry, Thank you for the offer. Do you run your laser cut parts through a tumbler? Just curious.

Loco Bill, thank you for the honest opinion. I enjoy my late version Annie quite a bit.

Danny, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on, and experience with,  plastic side rods.

Loco Bill

Craig you are welcome.  My wife emailed me the info on The Bachmann Plus  WPY 4-6-0  It was made from 1992 to 1997.  It supposedly had a new improved worm gear drive and some detail upgrades such as metal handrails and a better  valve gear.    Barry can give more detail on the drive train if you need it.

In the 1997 they quit calling them Bachmann Plus.

Cheers
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Craig

Craig

Someone please clarify; What makes a 4-6-0 an "Annie"? Was this a Bachmann anniversary or a Baldwin Anniversary? Is mine an "Annie" or just a Baldwin 4-6-0?

on30gn15

That's a really good question Craig.
Just looked in their printed catalog, doesn't say for which anniversary of whom, only that posters on this board nicknamed it that.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Jon D. Miller

The Anniversary edition of the 10-Wheeler was introduced by Bachmann to mark the 10th anniversary of the Big Hauler's introduction.

Bachmann even produced a limited production box car to mark the event (year).

Here is a link that addresses both the standard 10-Wheeler and the Anniversary 10-Wheeler.  There are pictures that illustrate the visual and trim differences between the two versions of the 10-Wheeler.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

Most questions you may have should be answered.

Should note that George Schreyer's excellent site, referenced in a posting above, contains one small error in addressing the 10-Wheeler.  George lists the Anniversary locomotive as having a version 6 drive train.  The difference being cited is that the Annie has a 7-pole can motor.  This is incorrect.  Both the standard and Annie locomotives have 5-pole can motors.

JD