Motor Question - WBB S2 Turbine

Started by MB425, August 15, 2009, 12:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB425

Got my replacement turbine last Sunday and have been running it pretty much everyday for an hour or more. When I put my ear somewhat near the engine while running, I hear a noise similar to the whining/grinding type noise model motors make when you get them up to a high speed. Naturally, I cracked it open and shot some grease in it and oiled around. I'm still getting the noise and I'm starting to think the engine needs a good break in period. Does anyone agree or is this just the nature of the beast? Bach-man? I opened the shell of the WBB GP9 and I don't get the noise even with two motors and that engine is well broken in.

Could I be pulling to much (5 MTH Railking Rugged Rails baby Madison cars)?\\

Thanks!

3rail

MB,

They should run pretty quiet after break-in.  Make sure that you lightly lube all moving parts such as the side rods. Lightly is the key word.

Regards,

3rail

MB425

3rail - Thanks for the reply. I've been running it a lot this afternoon (got everything important done early this morning) and have noticed that after I swapped the cars out it has been running MUCH quieter. I guess those heavy MTH Railking cars with 6 wheel trucks are a little too heavy for the engine. With cheapo Lionel 0-27 cars (all plastic with plastic trucks and couplers), I can't hear the motor across the room.

Tomorrow I'm having a get-together for my modular club. I'm planning on running this puppy and will post back on its performance.

Thank you as always!