News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Border's & train magazines

Started by jerryl, August 17, 2009, 08:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryl

While visiting our large Border's book store, I noticed that the Sept. issue of MR was not displayed yet & the latest Model RR news was the June issue. They dropped RMC a few years ago & am wondering if they plan to do the same with the other RR hobby mags.  They have all of the proto type mags. Anyone have any info?   Jerry

CNE Runner

Good Morning Jerry. I believe that Borders is owned by the Kmart Corporation and perhaps that is a new policy. Many years ago I worked for a bookstore and the manager decided which magazines were carried/displayed by referring to the sales figures. Model Railroad magazines are in the 'enthusiast' category and have a relatively small market share...therefore we didn't carry any of them.

Count your blessings as no one in our town carries either Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman. We have to drive 45 miles away, to Huntsville, to get a copy. I recently did a survey of my own magazine subscription and decided to not renew RMC. Now, when we do go to Huntsville, I check out the latest issue and decide whether or not to purchase it...state of the economy I guess.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jim Banner

I suspect that as more and more information appears on the internet, fewer and fewer magazines will be sold.  In a way, it is a pity.  Fifty year old MR and RMC magazines not only show some of the history of model railroading, they also have relevance today, particularly in scratch building and prototype articles.  In 2060 the magazines of today will still be around, even if only as curiosities.  But the web information we use today will be long gone.

Having said that, I must plead guilty to buying very few model railroad magazines, perhaps only one a year.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

my guess is that the falling circulation of model railroader in particular has alot to do with the dumbing down of its content. lately i am finding very little there besides glossy photos and cookie cutter articles. the layout articles especially seem to be a fill in the blanks format, and the how to articles seem to be mostly written by staff with only a few exceptions. the product reviews seem to tkae pains to offend no manufacturer, and you have to read between the lines to see if a model is worth looking at.

older model magazines, on the other hand, had much more individuality in each issue. there were alot of great ideas in those old magazines, and great layouts too.

as for the railroad magazines being sold still in borders, i personally find them fascinating, and usually read them cover to cover. i haven't done that with a model magazine in years. maybe others feel as i do, and sales reflect that?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Paul M.

I agree- Model Railroader has been dumbed down, even in the 5 years I've been subscribing.

I like RMC much better, its articles are for the "true" model railroader.

BTW, in regard to product reviews, I find "Model Railroad News" to be a source to for in-depth, and honest, reviews.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

jerryl

I agree also. I used to subscribe to 5 model RR magazines, now down to 1, RMC. I think they are aimed at the modeler & not the "ready to run group". The hobby is big enough to include RTR, Collectors & modelers of all skills. I probably wont go back to MRR, but there is a possibility for MRR News...really like thier in depth reviews.  Jerry