News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cardstock Structures

Started by Robertj668, August 13, 2009, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renniks

Ray,

The difference is that now the materials can come ready printed.

Some years ago I obtained a HO card set of "Canyon City" by Schreiber-Bogen. Using the PC, I cut and pasted parts of scanned copies and printed out in O scale.

The two buildings on the right were generated this way while the left hand pair were "hand generated" using various graphics software.

Has anyone a site for Dover--would like to see what they have. Now that I have an A3 size printer,I can print out whole cards and do the cut and paste with my knife.

CNE Runner

Renniks - I see what you mean. Those structures came out very well...excellent! On my previous layout, I experimented with taking digital photographs, printing them out, and laminating them to foamcore. The 'buildings' were then cut out and layered for a 3-dimensional effect. For a person who can only draw stick-figures, they came out well (so well that we sold the lot at a train show!). I will seriously consider making some deep background structures the same way (deep background structures are those that are behind background buildings...at least in my lexicon) in my next layout attempt.

Thanks for sharing the image.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Robertj668

renniks
Those are beautiful.
Robert

buzz

Hi Ray
I don't think card modeling truly disappeared in the UK there are two manufactureres of card kits OO scale, I know of one in Australia for HO.
And it still crops up from time to time in the model press.
I think it is some what idicitive of the "I want it now mentality" that you seem to see less of it and less plastic kits as well
If I had a plan for a small easy US something out of the wild west station building (Depot) I would probably have another go at card building
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

renniks

One advantage is that signs and posters can be added on PC rather than later.

Rear walls are cut so that building overhangs track to partially hide hole in backdrop.  Piece cut from backdrop is mounted on foam and replaced at angle to help prevent black hole effect.
In foreground is an Evergreen kit gas station.

Printed card can also be used for Boxcabs, Passenger and frt. cars.

Some of my expanding fleet of printed card sided reefers mounted on Bach flats or scratch chassis. Future builds will use the new Bach underframes. Caboose is combination of two Chivers cars on stretched chassis.

Eric UK (forgot to sign last post   :()

CNE Runner

Buzz - apparently a lot of good things haven't disappeared in the UK: sensible small vehicles, Peco products, real Land Rovers (Defender series...not the junk they import stateside. I still miss my 1970 Series IIA...after almost 30 years no less.), and small - yet interesting layouts. I believe it was on YouTube that I watched a video clip about an English layout wherein the presenter talked about how he made his cardstock structures...fascinating stuff!

Your structures are extremely well done and are an inspiration!

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jerryl

Clever Mpodels has a free download of a storage shed on thier website. You can enter it in a contest when finished & win a complete set of thier buildings on CDs. It will only be on thier website for a short time, so act Quickly.  Jerry

mabloodhound

I will second the Clever Models patterns.   I downloaded the free one today and it looks great.   I've built a few cardstock kits and they can be made to look very realistic.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security