How much wattage is needed for F3-AA Diesel

Started by dlopez, August 25, 2009, 06:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlopez

My Williams F3-AA Diesel #2333 "Classic Reproduction Series" with Dummy pulling 5 die-cast freight cars and 5 plastic freight cars on Atlas O track pops the circuit breaker on my Z-750 transformer after 5 or 6 laps.  I have 75 feet of track and 5 switches.  How much juice do I need?

Joe Satnik

Dear dlopez,

Are your switches (turnouts) illuminated?  If so, try removing the bulbs to lessen transformer current draw.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Hi Dlopez,

Our standard recommendation has always been 90 watts or above.  This goes back to the early days when the transformer options were 40 watt starter set transformers and the next power level available was the 1033 or 1044 90 watt transformers.   If there is nothing else hooked up to the transformer, 75 watts should be enough.  You may want to eliminate the bulbs (or convert to LED's).  Also, with 75 foot of track you may want to add multiple feeder wire to to track equally spaced. This will lower the resistance and may allow you to operate the train with that transformer. 

Be aware that if you add lighted cars, operating cars that are track powered, or wire accessories to the transformer this all adds to the total load on the transformer.

Regards,

3rail

DominicMazoch

If you add any cars with rollers, you will need more power because:

1.  More juice is needed to run the car

2.  More friction caused by the roolers.

dlopez

Thanks folks for your prompt replies.  I had a faulty rear roller pickup which my son and I re-sodered and everything works a-ok.  We will upgrade to a larger transformer in the near future.