News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cleaning Track and Wheels

Started by Cody J, August 16, 2009, 01:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

What is the best way to clean Bachmann HO EZ-Track and HO diesel locomotive wheels?

thanks,
cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

jonathan

I use rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth, or old t-shirt, to clean both.  I follow it up with just a touch of conducta-lube lightly coated on wheels and track.  That's what I do.  There's probably as many different methods, as there are MRR's out there.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

This wheel cleaning method recommended some time ago by Hunt is easy on wheels and does an excellent job.  Click on the link below:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,490.msg4388.html#msg4388

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

Like Jonathon said there is no single best way, but there are many effective ways. Many companies make track cleaning cars, some are abrasive (but not so much that the track is damaged), some are just cloth, others apply fluid as well, others work electronically and some are powered. And there is always a bright-boy eraser that you can get from a lot of places. For the wheels any soft lint free cloth will due with a touch of cleaning fluid.

CNE Runner

I follow the same procedures that were mentioned in the post that Jim suggested...with one exception. Instead of shop towels, I use used dryer sheets that are then sprayed with isopropanol. The used dryer sheets have a little more 'bite' or coarseness than toweling - thereby making the job much faster. It always amazes me how much 'gunk' comes off locomotive wheels.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Stephen D. Richards

I like to use gun cleaning patches!  Works great just a little troublesome holding onto for any amount of time!  Stephen

Craig

Quote from: trainsrock on August 16, 2009, 01:18:31 PM
What is the best way to clean Bachmann HO EZ-Track...
thanks,
cody

I use a pair of Centerline track cleaning cars to clean my mainline track, and the yards are cleaned by hand.

CNE Runner

The new track cleaning car, from Atlas, got good reviews in the August 2009 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. Apparently you can dry or wet clean the track -  and it also has an on-board vacuum system! Unfortunately the article did not mention a price; although you could check the discounters on the Internet.

Holy moly...I just went to the Discount Toy Train website and they are selling this car for a 'discounted' price of $118.74!!! That is a lot of isopropanol and used dryer sheets.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"