How can I use address 10 as DCC without DC Controller?

Started by mr0wizard, August 14, 2009, 08:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr0wizard

On the E-Z Command Controller, is there anyway to "fool" it into using Address 10 for DCC instead of DC? I don't plan to ever put a DC loco on it, but would like to have 10 DCC Addesses available.

Jim Banner

There does not appear to be any way of fooling it.  But E-Z Command makes it easy to change addresses, which in turn makes it easy to live with fewer addresses than locomotives.  The only exception would be if you were planning on running 10 locomotives all independently and all at once.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

If you have a dc Bachmann controller (Or other compatible ones) that can be connected to the EZ-command (a newer one) you can use address 10 for a DCC loco.

Jim Banner

simkon is correct that connecting a Bachmann #44212 Power Pack will automatically cause your E-Z command to switch its channel 10 from analogue to digital.  I am unaware of any other power pack that will do this, or of any method of fooling your E-Z Command into doing this.

Jim

p.s. if you use Firefox, right click on simkon's signature image and select View Image.

J.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mr0wizard

Thanks all. I already knew about using Bachmann's DC controller but was hoping for a more economical method. I'm suspicious about the connectors (3 wire instead of two) that Bachmann is using for the interconnects since only two wires should be needed. My guess is that in the connection between the DC & DCC Controller it is set up such that one is a common, another supplies the adjustable output from the DC Controller and the last is the 16 VAC, BUT without the internal wiring of the controllers, this is only a guess and I would not want to experiment because it could blow the DCC controller. If I'm right though, removing the DC Controller but doing a special wiring into the DC Controller input to the DCC Controller, whereby a short between the Common and the output for the DC Controller would fool the DCC controller that the DC Controller is connected and set to zero volts out.

Joe Satnik

Dear mr0wizard,

I have those controllers to sell (new, set break-up) at a reasonable price.  One of them has a slight bit of use, I will discount it even further. 

Another nice feature, they can be used as an accessories power source with 2 push-insert-release wire terminals.

If interested, e-mail your Zip Code (to calculate postage). 

joebarbATwwtPERIODnet

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.