Just got back from Greenfield Village

Started by Michigan Railfan, August 13, 2009, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

Well, I just got back from Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. I took a ride on the train twice, and went in the roundhouse. I also got to turn the turntable by hand with 3 other kids. Once we got it going, it was easy. It pretty much just coasted. I cant imagine how they moved it with a 200 ton locomotive on it. Now stopping it was the tricky part. We had to pull on the bar as hard as we could to stop it. In the roundhouse they had a very, very old Detroit & Mackinac caboose. They also had a very small plymouth switcher, and an operating 45 tonner that was switching some cars on the line next to the roundhouse. Looks just like Bachmanns model. :)  They also had a 4-4-2 that you could go under. They also had a very old 0-6-0, and you could tell it was old because one side of the cab was gone, and behind it, was a crane, like the ones used to get cars and locos back on the track. They also had an extremely old 2-6-0. You can tell its old because on the operating train ride, theres speakers, and the conductor told us that it is the oldest operating steam engine in the United States. But, a cool thing was that on the ride, we stopped to do a little maintanence. In order to get any particles of anything out of the boiler, they did four blasts of steam out of the left side of the loco. It only took about two minutes. Now I want to find a 4-4-0, just like the one there, and paint the name Edison on the tender (because thats what its called), and four black excursion cars. Anyone know where I can find any? And I'm hoping to have pictures up soon, but I have to have my Aunt and Uncle  email them to me, because I forgot my camera. I also got to ride in a real Model T. ;D  If you ever have the chance to go there, take it. Because you can also got to the museum, which has a real Allegheny, 4-4-0, 2-8-0, and a Rotary Snowplow.  Ok, nevermind on the question about the passenger cars. Bachmanns Jackson Sharp open sided excursion cars are perfect. I'll buy the unlettered painted green, and paint it black, and then I'll just need the locomotive. I'll have to look at pictures of different models and different pics of the actual locomotive and see which loco matches with the real thing the best. Well, I've been lookin around, and no luck with the loco. I mean, look how unique this engine looks. And in the background is the old caboose. The Conductor on the train said it first worked at a concrete place as a switcher, then went to work at the Ford Rouge plant, again as a switcher, but theres 100s of miles of track behind the walls. He also said the loco was reconstructed multiple times, so thats going to be tricky to find in model.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/5/8/8/3588.1221541250.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php%3Fid%3D251098%26nseq%3D3605&usg=__747YLozqXkQfCoKBo2i52_AT4xY=&h=703&w=1024&sz=341&hl=en&start=6&sig2=hrSJMLgmn-4Be29ValnK0A&um=1&tbnid=02WZJ2eKlIW4XM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGreenfield%2Bvillage%2Btrain%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4HPIA_enUS309US295%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=8IOEStKjGo6QNuyTxM8E Sorry about the really long link.

Robertj668

Michigan Railfan

Robert, Thank you.

Pacific Northern, That looks pretty accurate, but a different wheel arrangement and the tender is connected to the engine in that model. Well, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

mabloodhound

Looks like an American 4-4-0 to me unless I'm not seeing all the wheels.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Michigan Railfan

mabloodhound,

Yes, it is a 4-4-0. The only reason I'm having trouble finding one is that its been reconstructed many of times, but, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

renniks

IJ12

Notice that this loco has a 4 wheel (fixed axle) tender.
Have looked thru the Bach catalogue and the only one that I can find is in the HO "Pegasus" train set.  Add this to one of the American 4-4-0s (old not 'modern') and that is about right.

Eric UK

Michigan Railfan

Renniks

I noticed that too. Its not always ordinary.