V&T "Silverado" set green - paint matching

Started by on30gn15, August 18, 2009, 04:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

Question - have V&T "Silverado" set and am painting some green trim on passenger cars which wasn't added at factory - any thoughts on a commercial model color which would get close to factory green on letterboards?

Tried mixing but keep coming up too blue or too yellow.

Needs to not be enamel or lacquer paint.
Needs to be acrylic or other water base, Such as Polly Scale, Testors Acryl, Tamiay, El Viejo, et cetera.

May have asked this before but don't remember.

later,
Forrest
and no, forest green didn't match  ;)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill

Forrest,  Try going to a store like Michaels or the Wal-Mart crafts section and checking out the craft lines of acrylic paints.   There are many variations of green available.

You do seem to be on the right track trying to mix your own paints.  There are book in the library on painting which could give you some help if you can't find something right out of the bottle.   

I mix my own at times and find that adding white or light gray to lighten up a green that is too dark or a black or dark gray to darken a color that is too light often does the trick.

To get the right formula I use a measuring spoon and measure out one teaspoon of the basic color I am trying to change.  I use an eye dropper and keep track of how much of what I add.    Once I get it right I can then scale it up using the measuring spoons.

Best of luck!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

on30gn15

Hey Bill;

Appreciate your response!

Here's what's been tried:
1. statred with PollyScale CNW green - looked like closest to deep grren on letterboards.
too blue

2. mixed pullman green
not right, still too blue

3. okay - think back to art classes - blue and orange complimentary colors - add one to other and will grey it out, or brown it out, or just plian cancel it out.
ahh. . . what have I got?
! Seaboard Air Line orange

4. maybe got too much, too yellow.
maybe pigment too strong?

5. well, huh . . . add coach green instead?
still not right

6. I used to be really good at this - what's happened ???
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products