sound for large scale Narrow Gauge Rail Truck

Started by fjohn2, July 25, 2009, 05:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjohn2

Is is possible to add a sound unit to a 1/20 large scale Narrow Gauge Rail Truck that is  running on  standard DC track power. ( Not DCC ).
If so, what would be the product to use?

Sincerely,

F. John

glennk28

The Precision CraftOn3/On30 "Galloping Geese" have a great sound system in them and can often be had quite cheap. 

The sound is great--when you bring the voltage up, the engine starts and idles.  With more volts, it runs up through the gears--and back down again.  Bell and horn can be controlled by a separate control box. 

I would guess that if you removed things carefully and kept notes on what you did, you should be able to move the unit over.   

Let us know what results you have.   gj

soleman10

Phoenix sound systems have a great goose sound unit.  You can get it with a single note horn or a claxon (aaooogha) type.  I used this on my "rail hearse" and hid the unit inside the casket.
Mike

glennk28

The amps available have nothing to do with it.  A device will only use the amps it needs--you could have ten amps on the rails for multiple loco lash-ups--but if the sound unit only needs a quarter-amp, that's what it will take.  gj

fjohn2

Thanks for all your help.
I'll look into the things you have suggested.

F. John

wedressler

Bachmann notes that HO type decoders are  indeed suitable for the railcar as it only draws 300 milliamps.

Bill dressler

wedressler

Yes Mike- I did mean the rail truck. The DCC schmetatic supplied with the truck states "Due to the small current rating of the Rail Truck, it is not necessary to install a higher current rated decoder. A standard 1 amp decoder is adequate for normal operation......"

Bill Dressler

fjohn2

[
quote author=glennk28 link=topic=9953.msg82692#msg82692 date=1248654954]
The Precision CraftOn3/On30 "Galloping Geese" have a great sound system in them and can often be had quite cheap.  I would guess that if you removed things carefully and kept notes on what you did, you should be able to move the unit over.   

THe Precision Craft goose seems to be the least expensive way to acquire sound for my Bachmann 1/20 rail truck.

But dose it run on DC power??

Sincerely,

F. John

glennk28

Yes--it runs on regular DC--there is a sound control box that is made for it, or--I like the MRC "Black Box"  (that's what they call it) to control it--the BB controls most of theDC sound systems.  gj

fjohn2

;)

For the benefit of those installing a sound unit in a Bachmann  1/20.3 Scale NG Rail Truck.
I have found what I believe the least expensive way to achieve the above. ( Engine & horn sound )

Many thanks to the folks in the Santa Cruz Garden Railroad group. I will be using a sound module made by
I T T.  website : http://www.ittproducts.com/hqpage_2008.htm $34.95 + shipping and tax.

I'll let you know how it works.

F. John

Peter O

Which sound module from IIT did you chose?

I have to agree with the earler posts, that the On30 Goose module has the best sounds. I have one to install over the winter. There are some videos on youtube (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0rOeRR_07w )  that show it in all it's glory.

The startup, acceleration and gears changes are really cool. You can buy that same sound file (25401) loaded to a ESU Loksound 3.5 decoder, but the best deal was when some dealers were dumping the PCM On30 Goose for an amazing price.

Peter.