Talk me out of buying a Shay!

Started by MC, August 18, 2009, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

I am starting a new layout and would like to add a Logging operation. I have been looking at buying a Shay for some time now but with all the negetive things I have read I am afraid to make the investment. I looked at one in the LHS a couple weeks ago and it seemed to run very jerkey. Is this normal or is this one of the many problems. Please help.

Pacific Northern

I have read many of the postings from owners who have had problems with their HO shays.

I have been lucky, I have a couple of Spectrum Shays and have had no problem (knock on wood) with the engines.

The engines are certainly slow runners and make a fair amount of noise, which is not to be unexpected when you realize how many gears these engines have. I make sure mine are well lubed at all times.

To be safe I will order a couple of NWSL replacement gearing to ensure that these engines will have a long running life.

As long as Bachmann keeps making these engines you have the benefit of repair/replacment of the engines should you have gear problems.

These engines are an engineering marvel in my opinion.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

In real life, Shays rarely ran over about 15 miles per hour.  If they did, it tended to shorted the life of the mechanism.  I suspect the same holds true for model Shays - anything over about 15 scale mph can shorten their life.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

James Thomas

Could we get a hint about what scale you are talking about?
-JRT

Jim Banner

James,

The NWSL gears are made for the H0 3 truck Shay, so Pacific Northern at least is talking about H0.

MC could be talking H0, 0n30 or large scale.

I was talking full size and model.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

This thread is also on the Model Railroader forum and has gathered many replies of advice.
Pacific Northern

MC

Quote from: James Thomas on August 19, 2009, 12:38:29 PM

Could we get a hint about what scale you are talking about?
-JRT

Sorry, I was talking about HO.

BaltoOhioRRfan

I've had only one problem with mine, (well besides applying too many coats of paint cause i cant seem to get happy witht he lettering scheme!) And I think the problem was kinda my fault but im not sure as the flat car i had it on once derailed and it fell about 2 inches into the front truck. The truck started to jam up, i eventually got it to free up. My only complaint is that when i called Service department to get a new truck they wanted me to send it to them and pay em $50. When i worked at my LHS I was able to get the part for $15 through them and have yet to replace it but i still have it and 1 of each of the other trucks sitting around incase i need them.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

MC

Thanks guys for talking me out of buying a Shay.

It arrived today. Now all I need is a layout.

rwiseha

Just a note for info.   Northwesr Short Line  P.O. Box 1329 Hamilton, Mt 59840has a set of steel gears (6) and instructions for $24.95.
Rex