News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wash

Started by SteamGene, August 22, 2009, 06:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I'm about to do some weathering of coal tipples and coal field company houses.  I can not find my India ink.  What about a wash using weathered or oily black - say a 1:6 or so ratio? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

I've used Testors diluted with Varsol as an oily looking wash on plastic cars with good results.  But as that fine coal dust that settles on everything, I don't think it would be a great choice.

For paper or wood buildings, I've used a wash of Floquil diluted with lacquer thinner.  The pigment in Floquil is very finely ground and the results are more like India ink - black gives coal dust in miniature.  Just don't let the fumes get you.  And keep it away from plastic unless you dilute it a lot with Diosol and airbrush it on as a very fine mist.

Artist's oil colours are also very fine grind and will take great dilutions in Varsol, making it useful on both wood and plastic.  Diluting it with turpentine is an even better choice as Varsol contains some heavier fractions of petroleum that can take a long time to evaporate.  Turpentine does not.  The down side of turpentine is of course its smell.

Artist's acrylic diluted with windshield washer antifreeze also gives a dusty look if airbrushed and as I use these acrylics for scenery, it is easy to match the dust to the countryside.  As a wash, it tends to raise the grain on wood and runs too easily on plastic.

Craft type acrylics are too coarse grained to make a decent wash.

I suspect you will want to use a more dilute solution than 1:6, particularly with the artist's colours. 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

The company houses are the City Classic two story ones - so plastic. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

CNE Runner

Gene - I have had excellent results with any of the Dr. Ben's washes. In particular his black was dries to a dull finish...perfect for a coal tipple. Dr. Ben's has a whole plethora of washes; so you can choose what you need based upon the use/look you intend. These washes are further explained - and can be ordered from:

Having used these products for years I think I can say you will not be disappointed in the results. One caution: these are ethanol-based washes which can 'bleach' the colors of some objects (noteably boxcar red and black). Additionally do not overspray your weathering with Dulcoat as the finish will 'blush' or turn white.

Try the black wash and let us know what you think.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

Thanks.  I have never heard of Dr. Ben's.   I will check into them. 
Chief Brass Hat