Decoder recognition by Digitrax Zephyr

Started by RCMCL, August 21, 2009, 11:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMCL

Recently purchased a new Spectrum N scale GE 44 Ton Diesel Switcher with DCC installed.  My Digitrax Zephyr will not recognize the decoder address but instead gives a (d nd) indication which means there is an open circuit on the programming track and no current is detected by the programmer.  The Zephyr will recognize the address of all my other DCC equipped locos.  The 44 Ton Switcher run quite well on address 03 so I'm not sure where to look for the problem. Additional note, this is the second unit, the original unit had the same problem so my dealer gladly exchanged it for the one I have now.  Anyone out there have a suggestion or two?

BestSnowman

Are you having troubles operating it or programming it?
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

RCMCL

Unable to program because the Zephyr is unable to read the current decoder address.

BestSnowman

-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

RCMCL

My thanks to BestSnowman!!  I does seem to me that the resistor should solve the problem.  Will not be able to try it until next week but will let you know the results when they are in.

BestSnowman

I'm not sure why it is neccesary for some locomotives, but it would be nice if digitrax included it in their documentation (then again I might have missed it).

Yampa Bob posted a nice diagram but I've since lost track of it. What I did was got two alligator clips and put the resister in between the two so I can clip it on when I need it.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

RCMCL

BestSnowman, the resistor worked "as Advertised".  Used two jumper wires with clips on both ends. Clipped one wire to one rail with the resistor attached to the other end. Then clipped the other wire to the other rail and to the other end of the resistor.  From there everything worked as it should.  Will set up the resistor with permanent clips in future so it will be ready to attach when nest needed. Again thanks for your help. RCMCL